338 edge

whapaho

gun)Len, i have been a stranger to this forum but i lost my password and just had a new one sent to me,anyway. I'm building this gun on a remington 700 cdl having a douglas xx 27 inch barrel (after finished) screwed on then reemed do you have any input... 338edge or 338-300 what ever you want to call it. does this gun need a muzzle brake to shot without kicking the living daylights out of you? i need dies also do you use 300 ultra full length with a 338 or .364 neck sizer. what do you think about the douglas barrel? any good? Whapaho from washington thanks oh yah,i almost forgot is the barrel long enough or should i have went to a 30 inch i'm looking to get 2900+ at the muzzle with the 300 grain smk. Im needing brass,dies and a muzzle brake. what do you think of OPS, inc brakes?

Last edited:
I have some Douglass XX barrels that shoot very well. Yes, you need a muzzle brake. You can buy expensive dies from a few places but I use a Hornady 338 generic neck sizer I got for $14. You are fine with a 27" barrel and I doubt you would get 2900 fps out of the 30 " without loosening some primer pockets pretty good. Take your 2800 fps and use your clicks to shoot stuff about as far as you can see it when you get that good with the rifle.

If you are going to build an EDGE, I would go at least 28", other wise you have a 338 RUM. You need a muzzle brake.
I am interested in what your handle means?

Ok, starting with Trueblue my nickname was givin to me by my family because im half indian and half italian in fact you have.... awhap a hoe. Do you hace any idea how much harder the edge will kick compared to the 30-378. I would'nt think it's going to punch me any harder than that

And thanks for the information i was planning on using the 300 smk but i've had a change of heart now i'm going to try 225 - 250 maybe 225 accubond billistic tip will be flatter and almost as much energy down range. so i can use the 300 full lenght dies and the 338 neck sizing ball? i still need alot more info long time long ranger both your info will help. you and trueblue thanks

Both of mine are 28" barrels. I think that length is a good tradeoff. I thought you already had your barrel and it was 27" and it will do fine at that if it is. If you haven't ordered yet the 28" would be good. You just don't gain much with barrel length with these. I have two great grandmothers, one on each side, who were both full Cherokee.

i bought a 28 inch barrel and i thought the gunsmith had to cut off an inch so it would shoot is this correct or not?

Whapaho

You stated you want to try the 225 or the 250. I just seen that nosler has accubonds in the 250gr, but I don't know if they are out yet. I haven't heard anyone that has used them yet.

He shouldn't have to cut off an inch. When I ordered xx premium barrels years ago they came in cut and crowned, finished to the length I specified. I order all my barrels crowned and finished. Depends on how your gunsmith ordered it I guess. I don't think he will need to cut off an inch though. All he should have to do is thread it for the brake. He may have ordered an unfinished blank and plans on doing everything himself. Therefore it will finish out around 27".

The 225 accubonds work well and are used by many on here. I shoot them because of far less recoil than the 300's. They are capable of taking animals beyond 1000 yards and I rarely shoot that far at game. If I do I am using one of my extreme long range rifles with high velocity and high BC's.

Do you think i made a mistake on my barrel? i'm looking to shoot anywhere around 700 to 1000 yards with this rifle, i have been looking at some very good glass like U.S. optics, smt,and bender i've even looked into the hensoldt, all are very good scopes and very expencive, then i found the bushnell 6500 elite mil dot this is a beauty has very clear glass and the price for around $1000 isnt bad. If for some reason my gun smith decided to get a barrel that is a blank, is this still going to be a match grade premium barrel or not? What do you guys think about the scope? will this work or not?lightbulb

The unfinished blank can be a top match barrel. the smith just leaves room to cut and crown it then thread and chamber it. Still a match barrel if that is what he ordered. I don't think you made a mistake. My 338RUM is a factory rem 700 with 26" barrel. I can easily kill elk with it at 800 yards with it. The 4-16 Nikon Monarch scope with mil dot reticle is a good one. I think I still have some of those in my gun room new in box for around $350 shipped.

Is the nikon 4x16 x50mm or 42mm long time long ranger and are they are mil dot or the BDC? I have 4x16x50mm bdc on my 257 weatherby and i love it for that gun. The first animal i shot was a coyote at 311 yards and it worked perfectly. I called my gun smith yesterday to find out the progress on my gun and he installed a brake already ( which i didn't want). I was looking at the OPS, inc brake, i guess i will try it and see how his works. Thanks for all the info if you have anything else i'm all ears.:)

I am confident you will enjoy your rifle. It is a very good cartridge. You really need that brake to shoot this rifle accurately at long range, even more so with the light short barrel. It will kick like a mule without it. The scopes are 42 millimeter with mil dot reticles.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.