• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED 338 edge

If something happens and it does not sale i will probably take lightvarmits advice and have it rebarreled to a 300um. I just hate to take a chance on a different break and be out the money and it still kick to hard for me to enjoy shooting it.

Nathan.

Nathan,

We have tested various brakes on the same caliber guns of like weight. I have a Vias-type brake on a 338 Lapua that has the same weight as a 338 RUM and shooting bullets to the same velocity, the guns with the Darrell Holland brake recoil about 30% less....

I like Darrell's brakes so well that I just had a 300 Dakota XP chambered up and it is at his shop as of yesterday to have the Radial brake installed. Note we will be shooting it with a rifle scope that has short eye relief.

From what I have seen, there is more difference between one of Darrell's brakes as compared to the Vias as there is difference between the Vias and not having any brake at all.

I would not consider the brake from Darrell Holland to be a gamble.

Tell you what, put the BIG Holland Radial brake on the gun and if decide that you still think it kicks too much, I will buy the gun from you. That is how confident I am that you would like the Holland Radial brake.

James

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey James, i now i have never met you but from what i have talked to you through pm messages and on the forum you have to be one of the nicest guys i know. I would never expect you to buy the gun if it still kicked to much but i would like to try it. Any info you can give me on this break would be appreciated, like price and about how long would it take to get one of his radial breaks put on. James like i said i feel lucky to have had the chance to have talked or typed back and forth to you.

Thanks
Nathan

Hey James, i now i have never met you but from what i have talked to you through pm messages and on the forum you have to be one of the nicest guys i know. I would never expect you to buy the gun if it still kicked to much but i would like to try it. Any info you can give me on this break would be appreciated, like price and about how long would it take to get one of his radial breaks put on. James like i said i feel lucky to have had the chance to have talked or typed back and forth to you.

Thanks
Nathan

Nathan,

I have enjoyed corresponding with you as well. I try to help those new to the precision shooting game of hunting or competition maneuver the pitfalls that one can wind up in.

FWIW, I usually try to stick with gunsmiths that are within a days drive, but Darrell is one of the few that I would recommend that provides as quick service for a client 3000 miles away as one that is down the street. You won't find many that will do that.

Darrell is a paid advertiser here on the site and here is the contact information for him:

Holland Shooters Supply

P.O. Box 69
Powers, Oregon 97466
UPS shipping address:
711 Avenue "H"
Powers, OR 97466

Phone: 541.439.5155
FAX: 541.439.2105

Contact us at:

[email protected].

It has been my experience that they have the absolute best customer service available. They tend to turn these muzzle brake jobs around fairly quickly. All mine (4 different brake job shipments over the last 18 months) had less than a one day turnaround time from the time they received it until they return shipped it.

I don't think you will be disappointed doing business with them.....

Good luck.

James

Last edited by a moderator:
If something happens and it does not sale i will probably take lightvarmits advice and have it rebarreled to a 300um. I just hate to take a chance on a different break and be out the money and it still kick to hard for me to enjoy shooting it.

Nathan.

Nathan, you may consider talking with Shawn Carlock at Defensive Edge before doing anything. The 338 EDGE is his baby, if you didn't know. He and Kirby both produce excellent brakes that may make that rifle much more pleasant to shoot. Edit: Can't get the 'big grin' out of the link, so deleted link.

Last edited:
Nathan, you may consider talking with Shawn Carlock at Defensive Edge before doing anything. The 338 EDGE is his baby, if you didn't know. He and Kirby both produce excellent brakes that may make that rifle much more pleasant to shoot. ..::Defensive Edge - Custom Gunsmithing::..

Hello jmden,,

Any idea what Kirby and/or Shawn charges for a brake completely installed and ready to shoot?

Any idea of their lead times / waiting times for doing the work?

Last time I checked with Shawn, it was 6 weeks to chamber and crown a customer supplied barrel and custom action which is about twice the machine time as crowning a barrel and installing a brake.

Actually the gun is techincally not even an Edge. It is the 338/300 RUM as inscribed on the barrel by Harts..... Different reamer by different smiths.

However, I am sure all those other brakes are fine (even Nate Dagley's model) and will work well, but my buy offer does not extend to other muzzle brake installations...... Only the Holland's Radial brake.

I don't think I have seen any side by side comparisons of the brakes on a pistol or a rifle, but it would be a good experiment and very informative. The Holland's brake will allow for a TWO FINGER hold on a 7MM Dakota pistol shooting full house (175 grain I believe) loads off a Harris bipod without torquing or recoiling out of the two finger hold. Len even took a video of this and posted it on here somewhere...... When one crawls behind one of these hand cannons with a rilflescope, you will need the most help you can get from your muzzle brake. As they say, a picture or even a video is worth a thousand words.

If he gets the Holland's Radial brake and it still kicks too much, as I stated above, I will buy the rifle. However, I suspect he will be "all smiles" if/when he tries the Holland's Radial brake.

James

LV,

I don't care what the brakes cost or time to install them. These are guys that have contributed much to long range hunting and to this site and would give excellent advise to the OP. You are free to offer your advice, just like I did.

Jon

Hello jmden,,

Any idea what Kirby and/or Shawn charges for a brake completely installed and ready to shoot?

Any idea of their lead times / waiting times for doing the work?

Last time I checked with Shawn, it was 6 weeks to chamber and crown a customer supplied barrel and custom action which is about twice the machine time as crowning a barrel and installing a brake.

Actually the gun is techincally not even an Edge. It is the 338/300 RUM as inscribed on the barrel by Harts..... Different reamer by different smiths.

However, I am sure all those other brakes are fine (even Nate Dagley's model) and will work well, but my buy offer does not extend to other muzzle brake installations...... Only the Holland's Radial brake.

I don't think I have seen any side by side comparisons of the brakes on a pistol or a rifle, but it would be a good experiment and very informative. The Holland's brake will allow for a TWO FINGER hold on a 7MM Dakota pistol shooting full house (175 grain I believe) loads off a Harris bipod without torquing or recoiling out of the two finger hold. Len even took a video of this and posted it on here somewhere...... When one crawls behind one of these hand cannons with a rilflescope, you will need the most help you can get from your muzzle brake. As they say, a picture or even a video is worth a thousand words.

If he gets the Holland's Radial brake and it still kicks too much, as I stated above, I will buy the rifle. However, I suspect he will be "all smiles" if/when he tries the Holland's Radial brake.

James

Hey guys i hope none of you think bad of me but i am going to take lightvarmint's advice and go with hollands brake just got off the phone with him (holland) and going to send it to him today.
James i cant express enough how much i apprecaite your input on this. I have wanted an edge for about 2 years now and i hate to give up on it. Had it not been for James i would have probably sold it. I am sorry to all of you guys who were interested please understand.

Thanks to all
Nathan

Nathan I don't think anyone will think bad about you. Heck I would hate to see you give up on it also. If you would let me know how you like the brake . I am hoping to build one also and I like the barrel you have on yours but was also worried about the recoil on such a small barrel (diameter)
Mike

Thanks Mike i appreciate it. I will definately let you and everyone else know about the brake, sent it off this evening. Does anyone know what i should do about this post. I dont want any of the moderators to get mad at me for trying to sell something and then choosing not to.

Thanks again
Nathan

Thanks Mike i appreciate it. I will definately let you and everyone else know about the brake, sent it off this evening. Does anyone know what i should do about this post. I dont want any of the moderators to get mad at me for trying to sell something and then choosing not to.

Thanks again
Nathan

Nathan,

I too and glad to see that you decided to keep this rifle.....just as I said last night via PM. LOL. Besides, you saved me from trying to gather money to purchase another one only weeks after I bought my first EDGE.

Let me know how that Holland break works....I have no complaints with the DE break on mine. And that ol' James fella (Lightvarmint) tends to know what he's talking about.

Take care,

Dan

Last edited:
Re: 338 edge Brake

Nathan,

I think your rifle is off the market for the long haul, and that Lightvarmint is out of luck lifting this rifle out of your hands! The brakes offered by Fiftydriver, Defensive Edge, Nate Dagley, or Darrel Holland will all tame that recoil down to powder-puff levels. There's a big difference between the one you had on there and any of the larger baffle/port models available from these four sources.

Looking forward to your follow-up report.

Last edited:
Nathan I am building a 338 Edge also and went with a holland radial brake after shooting a vias and holland you will not sell it after the holland brake is put on the caliber was 338/378 with the holland and 300 ultra with the vias the 338/378 kicked alot less . The stock that Mr Morton is selling to me is for the 338 Edge. Tell him I sent the payment out on tuesday

Thanks
James

Definitely, nobody here will be mad at you deciding to keep this rifle. After all, that is why so many people posted their results. We all wanted you to keep it in the first place. Too nice a rifle to let go when there are other avenues available. And I don't think there will be anybody upset over your choice of brakes. We just gave our experiences and what has worked for us. After all, it is your rifle. Good luck with it and keep us posted.