338 Edge?

TLM

I have a Remington 700 Classic in 8mm mag, I am having a terrible time locating brass. I was thinking of having it re barreled to the 338 Edge, thinking that it is unlikely that 300 ultra brass will become scarce, agree or disagree? Please give an opinion on this idea: keep the existing stock (sentimental nicks and scratches from elk gone by, have it glass bedded, 26 inch? fluted stainless barrel, timney trigger and a brake. I realize worth is in the eye of the beholder, but thinking this may be a great way to repurpose a gun that sits in my safe for a reasonable amount of dollars. Please let the opinions fly.
Thank you,
Tim
P.S. would a factory 8mm barrel be worth anything on the used market?

I'd run some 375 h@h brass through your 8rem dies and blow them out. Your action would need work ( the rum is a bit wider) in addition to the rebarrel cost. I haven't been able to buy new 300 ultra brass locally since spring unless I want to buy factories. As to the bbl. value, watch the classifieds, but new take off rem bbl.s are going for under $100 usually; used would be less than that.
Also, welcome to the forum!

Thanks Lefty,
Does it take a ton of work on the action? One of the drivers for this is just a love for the 338 caliber. I am actually pretty fond of the 8mm, I just don't like the idea of having to fireform brass and the lack of a great 220 grain boat tail.
Tim

From what I'm hearing the feed rails have to be opened a bit. I'd talk to your smith before I get too serious about a rebuild unless you are set on this one being an edge. It wouldn't be much more to start with another (custom) action if you are doing stock, barrel, and action work. I'm not saying don't do it, but you may just get two guns for a bit more $$ than working this one over.

Send it to Shawn Carlock at Defensive Edge and have them turn it into a 338 Edge. You'll be glad you did. The 338 Edge is one of their specialties and they have the fastest turn around time of anyone I've ever worked with.

back in 2001 I rebarreled my 300 RUM with a fatter longer tube and chambered a wildcat in it....I gave the factory take off to a friend, he had an 8mm Rem Mag Classic and IIRC it was a very simple and inexpensive job to make it run 300 RUM.... he calls it the Frankenstein........ blued action, stainless barrel and a wood stock.... not very pretty but kills moose as easily as the pretty guns.....

If you go with 338 RUM you are left with zero options for brass other than 338 RUM
with the 338 Edge you have a bunch of options for brass....

Remington, Nosler, Norma, Federal all make brass for the 300 RUM
and you can get 338 Edge brass from Defensive Edge, a fantastic option if you will travel to countries that require your ammo stamp to match your rifle...

and if you can get 375 RUM brass it can also be made to run the 338 Edge... I have done that as a friend does not reload and gives me all his brass...

and finally the cheapest option....... sandpits, gravel pits and shooting ranges..... I have picked up nearly 500 pcs of mixed 300 RUM brass over the years, ALL of it was new once fired brass upon inspection.....

any of this make sense ?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts