338 edge

Dean2506

Just thought I would put this out there for other people building or shooting the 338 edge. I helped a buddy put his together and now am helping him work up loads and get zeroed in. We used the standard load with h1000 and also I wanted to try RL 33. I am so far very impressed with the 33. I will not list loads used but we are averaging 2960 with 300 gr smk and a spread of 26 so not bad. we were able to shoot only 100 yds today but all groups were one ragged hole. I will say I used alliant 338 lapua max load as a start and work up until I saw pressure and then backed off. I also put 3 rounds on ice for 10 minutes just to see what would happen and actually got a few fps more velocity with a lower es. I know this is all in the early stages but i just thought I would share since I was unable to find any data for rl33 and edge on the net.

Rem 700 action blueprinted
Broughton 5c bbl 9.3 twist 30 in finish
fat bastard break

p.s. Recoil about like 3006 with 150 gr pill

About 100 fps gain with the RL33 over the typical H1000 load. Thats about the same results I had. It just takes alot of powder to get the velocity... lol

it does take an awful lot of powder. We hope to get to the range and do some 300 and 600 and maybe 900 yd groups with the two best loads in order to see if the RL 33 and the extra velocity is worth it.

That exactly where I am at with it too. I won't make a complete switch this year though because bear season is only 3 weeks away and I will use my RL25 load for this year.

I'm interested. I haven't really stayed in the loop on shooting the last few years. Is the 33 a new powder. I'm still in load development on mine with 300 gr Bergers. Would love to try a new powder

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts