338 edge verses 338-408 chevy- tech

new shooter

the 338 edge sounds like a great gun, but the 338-408 has more speed and energy. They say you can shoot the edge all day long and the recoil will not bother you as long as you have a good muzzle break, like Shawn's. But how is the recoil on the 338-408? can you shoot it all day or will it make you sore? also I have only one eye and I'm concered with damage to the retina? Has anybody shot this 338-408? Looking forward to your opinions. Thanks alot. New Shooter

Hi eithr are finh to shoot if you have a good muzzle break but the big diference is the actions you have to use the 338 Edge is based on the ultra mag case and will fit in most Magnum commercial actions where the 408 case is based on a 505 gibbs case that is much larger and requires a special large custom action costing a lot more. The edge gets a 300gr projectile around 3000fps but the 338 Allen Mag a versian of the 408 gets the 300gr to around 3400fps. their is no free lunch with the 408 case the cases are very expensive and the barrel live is not to good but it is an awsome calibre for long range shooting. If you are new to long range shooting you will need to practice a lot to get the required skilles. I would get the Edge first and down the track when you feel you are capable of shooting past 1000 yards then look at the 338 on the 408 case and i would get Kirby to build one of his Allen Mags then.

Stick with the rifle that will give you a cheaper way of practicing for your first long range rifle. If you have a Rem 700 long action Shawn can convirt it to an Edge and make an awsome firle out of it for you also he can build it on a LAwton action for a little more and you will have a total custom rifle to keep for years.

Cheers Bill
Australia

[ QUOTE ]
the 338 edge sounds like a great gun, but the 338-408 has more speed and energy. They say you can shoot the edge all day long and the recoil will not bother you as long as you have a good muzzle break, like Shawn's. But how is the recoil on the 338-408? can you shoot it all day or will it make you sore? also I have only one eye and I'm concered with damage to the retina? Has anybody shot this 338-408? Looking forward to your opinions. Thanks alot. New Shooter

[/ QUOTE ]
first off the cartridge you refer to is a 338-408 Chey-Tac(cheyenne tactical) not a 338-408chevy-tec (General Motors car mechanic) you want to brake your rifle not "break" it. and yes if "you shoot it all day" you will be "sore" at least in the wallet because your barrel will be toast, this is not a hi volume round by any means.

New Shooter,

The 338-408 or my version of the same, 338 Snipe-Tac, is not a gun you shoot all day long. The recoil in a 15# rifle with brake is about the same as a 300win mag, not bad considering pushing the 300grn bullet up to 3400fps.

The super big 338 rifles are more of a specialty rifle, 1000yard and out are what they are designed for. When i go to the range with my personal rifle, i will average 30 to 40 rounds in an afternoon. But you got to remember with driving out to 1200yds and checking targets and cleaning, the day is gone pretty fast. I personally shoot my rifle in the 3300fps range, saves wear on the brass. Brass is about the same as buying Weatherby brass. I have shot some loads up too 3500fps with a 300MK bullet, brass life is short with these loads. It is unknown what the bbl life is on these wildcats, other large cased 338 wildcats get anywhere from 1000 to 2000 rounds before the barrel needs to be set back or replaced. It depends on the individual on when the accuracy level has been depleated. A bench or target shooter might change out the barrel at 800rounds. A hunting rifle version might see 1500 rounds before the groups open up past 1 moa at 1000yds. (Elk MOA is 20" on average) So if your gun still holds a 15" group at 1000yds, it would be within the Elk kill zone. Most of the 338 snipe-tac rifles i have built will hold 6-8" at 1000yds, these are hunting rifles and not a bench gun shot from bi-pods to simulate a hunting condtion. 100yd groups will be in the .1 to .3moa group size.

They are a awesome long range tool, but not for everyone.
If your worried about recoil stay with the smaller 338 rifles.

Dave

Recoil in a properly designed rifle will not be bad at all with any of the 338-408 wildcats. It will range from an unbraked 300 Win Mag in the lightweight versions with a brake to hardly enough to mention in the braked medium to heavy weight rifles.

I am just finishing up a medium weight(25 lb class) 338 AM and will be able to tell you actual recoil levels hopefully soon but I suspect they will be around that of an un braked 30-06 sporter rifle.

Performance wise, your comparing apples to very large oranges!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But the 338 Edge has advantages over the big 408 based 338 rounds as well. The rifles are much cheaper to build, can be built much lighter and ammo is MUCH easier to form. With the right tooling it is not a big deal to make the big 338s but there is added cost in the does and also fireforming is needed.

There is a price to pay for an additional 400-500 fps of velocity so do not think its all warm and fuzzy. Still, if you want the ultimate in performance, they are the way to go. If you want a high performance long range 338 magnum, the Edge is probably on the top of the pile as far as userfriendlyness and performance.

You really do not want to shoot a rifle like my 338 Allen Magnum all day anyway, at 145 gr of powder per shot you will be buying powder every other day and barrels for each season.

They are designed for big game hunting and as such they work very well with good barrel life for that use. For high volume shooting, the Edge would be a MUCH better choice and a 338 WSM would be even better!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Newshooter-Kirby-is-currently-building-my-338-ALLEN-MAG-(338-408-Chey-Tac).-My-rifle-will-weight-right-around-25-to-30-pounds-it-will-be-braked-with-one-of-his-4-port-brakes-so-I-will-let-you-know-ho w-the-recoil-is.-Here-are-the-specs-for-my-338-AM-if-you're-interested.

1.338-Allen-Mag
2.Lawton-M8000-Action
3.A-5L-Large-stock-with-3"-forend-Designed-by-Joel-Russo
4.Lilja-32"-1-10-twist-1.500-tapered-to-1.400-at-the-muzzle
5. APS-4-Port-muzzle-brake
6. Jewel-Trigger
7. Lawton-Custom-base-with-40MOA
8. Nightforce-30mm-rings
9. Nightforce-12x42x56mm-NXS
10.Weight-of-rifle-will-be-25-to-30-pounds

I-believe-Kirby-said-the-recoil-will-be-like-shooting-a-30-06-I-am-looking-forward-to-having-this-beast.

Wildcat

Wildcat,
I don't think you have the only medium weight 338AM coming off the line this week. Very soon, I'm thinking there is one based on a BAT action bound for a friend here in Oregon.
HG

HG-can-you-give-us-the-specs-on-your-338AM.-Would-love-to-here-about-it.

Wildcat

It's not mine. It being built for a friend who I refered to Kirby.
From memory it's a 34" braked 338AM.
left handed Bat action. Bed block mounted barrel in a Tooley stock. Natural finnish. If the owner wants it public I'm sure he will post some pictures as soon as he either gets them or the rifle. Have you received pictures of yours yet?

Fiftydriver; a question for you. Why is the 338 WSM even better than the 338 edge? looking forward to your response.Thanks New Shooter.

New Shooter,

The comment about the 338 WSM was directed toward the longest throat life with a high volume shooter.

If you want to shoot alot, the 338 WSM would offer a much longer barrel life then any of the larger 338 magnum rounds. This comment had nothing to do with inherent accuracy, ballistic performance or terminal performance. All I was referring to was throat life with high volume shooting.

Kirby Allen(50)

The recoil with my 338 Allen Mag is about the same as my 270 win with no brake. Iowa is
Very pleasant to shot.

How about case availability. I have decided to get a snipe-tac or allen mag but am very leery of sinking stupid money onto a rifle that goes extinct, with its designer. Which leads me to the next question. Is the 338 snipe-tac and the 338 allen mag the same and can they be shot in the same chamber with the same accuracy results and load data? 338 edge and Lapua makes no sense when the 338-378 Weatherby out paces them on all accounts.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.