338 Edge Users- Loading new rem cases.

Down Under Hunter

Just a quick one. I have a new rifle in the edge caliber and am getting started loading. What would you suggest to run through the new brass. ie. Would you run just some mid strength loads with cheap projectiles to fireform the cases to match the chamber exactly, then with once fired cases get serious..... or..... just load up the big 300 smk with 92 gr H 1000 and bang away ? How differently might they perform to the once fired brass ?

I thought of fireforming first, but thought why waste the powder if I dont have too?? I might also be able to start checking impact points whilst breaking the barrel in ??

Cheers

DUH

+1 MagMan, thats what I'd do. Chrono it and learn those drops. Then if the velocity changes a little on subsequent loadings, you'll be able to just make an adjustment. Also, once you wear this brass out, you'll be able to load up and be real close with the next set of brass.

AJ

i've shot some of my best groups with new brass. i push the necks out in 2 steps. clean up the necks. run them through the FL sizer and load em. i'm convinced new brass shoots just as good or maybe better than used.

i broke my barrel in before i had a stock on the gun!

That all sounds really encouraging.

How many shots would you think to break in the barrel ?? 20-30 ?? Clean after every shot for ten, then after every five ?? What are your thoughts ??

Cheers boys

DUH

You can do a forum search for break-in for some threads on this, but stolen from Boss Hoss, I come up with this:

1. Clean barrel / lube bolt / 1 shot.

2. Clean barrel / lube bolt / 5 shots.

3. Clean barrel / lube bolt / 10 shots.

4. Clean barrel / lube bolt / 10 to 15 shots and clean again.

most shoot one and clean for about 10 shots. then you can start shooting a few and let the patches tell the story.most good barrels are ready to go with only 5 to 20 rounds out of them.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.