338 edge resizing question

nddodd

Hey guys heres another question for yall. Just got my 338 edge yesterday and was out in the shop tonight resizing some brass using 338 ultra mag dies. I set the dies up like you regularly would for a full length size i think this is were i screwed up becouse when i chamber it in my gun the case's shoulder has obviously been pushed to far back becouse the case is so short the gun would not extract the case. Should i set the die up like i am just going to size the neck and thats it. Bad thing is i resized about 25 cases before i thought to check it. I gueess if somone needs some 338 ultra mag brass i got some huh.

Thanks
Nathan

I have done a little research on this, let me know if I am off the mark!

To start with. The 300 RUM is 2.382" from base to start of shoulder. The .338 RUM is 2.290" from base to start of shoulder. They both have the same shoulder angle.

Step 1.
Used a neck expander to expand new 300 RUM brass out so that a .338 cal projectiles will just slip into the neck with your fingers.

Step 2.
Place a new 300 RUM case into the shell holder and gently screw down the .338 RUM full length sizing die until it contacts the shoulder of the case. At this point the 338 RUM die should have a 0.092" gap between the shell holder and the base of the die. Lock the die in place.

This means that the bottom 0.092" of case will never get resized.

Step 3.
Remove 300 RUM case and replace it with one that hase been neck expanded. Lower the full length sizer die down fully to align the neck and resize it to correct diameter.

Step 4.
Try an EMPTY case in your rifle to see if it fits. If OK then load and enjoy.

Step 5.
Once you have fired a case in your rifle, measure it up and make ajustments to the die height above shell holder as required.

This method may or may not make the most accurate ammo, but it should go bang.

Hey guys found this post from back in dec. 08 guess i should have looked before posting my question sorry.

Thanks
nathan

i think you've got it now. the only thing i would do is start with a fired case and keep moving the sizing die down until the bolt will close or nearly close before you can feel any resistance. this will give you a perfectly sized case for your chamber.

you could, but anealing the shoulder area would be a good idea. i'm doing pretty much the same thing but i have RWS brass which is a little harder. i'm told if i fireform without anealing, they will split in this area and have seen pictures that prove this. with the Rem brass, sense it was "already there" it might go back to it's original shape without having to aneal.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts