.338 Edge Questions

JHansen

Hi guys, I am now thinking that this coming spring I am going to have my .300 Ultra built into a .338 Edge. But I've got questions about what I'm getting myself into. From what I understand I can use my .300 ultra brass and somehow expand the neck to .338 and I was just wondering what it takes to do this I am somewhat of a novice when it comes to reloading but know enough to get what I have needed to do so far. Just hoping to find some direction on what I am going to need to do in order to change my brass to do this. The other question I have is, will the remington brass I am using now be good enough to do this with?
Thanks, Jakegun)

I got a 338 Edge from Shawn Carlock last year and bought a set of his 338 dies at the same time. They are basically a set of Redding dies that Shawn machined to fit the 338 Edge. They have a tapered neck expander that takes your 300 RUM neck up to 338.

As far as brass, I am aware of only 2 brands for the 300 RUM -- Remington and Nosler. In my experience, the Nosler is not worth the extra money as the primer pockets loosen after 1 shot. The Remington brass does fine. I shoot Shawn's suggested load for the 300 SMK, and the rifle & load shoot under .5 MOA. Took a Colorado bull elk last year at 648 yards with my RBG (Really Big Gun). gun)

It reloads just like any cartridge. +1 on just using a set of the dies that Shawn Carlock sells.

I would personally start with some new brass (or at least not brass that has been used a bunch). Trying to neck up brass that is work hardened is not something I would recommend.

AJ

Can I use 338RUM dies to load 338 Edge if so how do I do it? Any load data for the 338 Edge?
THANKS
Bob

I have used 338 rum dies before you just have to be sure you don't set them up the way you normaly do. Since the 338 rum is a little shorter than the 300 rum you wil crush the case. I found this out the hard way, to set it up so you don't do this I screwwed the die up a full turn more than I would normaly and size a piece, then look at the neck to see how far it's going up in the die if it's just barely sizing the neck keep screwing the die down until it sizes the whole neck then you should be good.

Not saying this is the correct way it's just the way I did and it worked for me.

Hope this helped
Nathan

I picked up a set of Hornady 375 RUM dies strickly for bumping the shoulder when the brass gets a bit big. Also have the 338 rum dies and just back it off enough to size the brass.

I did pick up the fosters mandrel in .338 to resize the 300 RUM brass to .338. The Hornady dies impressed me as they have a great expanding mandrel built in that would do all you need as well.

Nothing to reloading the edge.

Good shooting

i have another question, how deep are you seating your bullets to get max accuracy with the 300gr SMK? what is your COAL, and how far from the lands are you?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.