338 Edge loads

Shepardsonp,

What is the serial #on the can of H-1000 you using? I'm guessing its an older lot as the powder has gotten faster over the last year. This is not just my speculation as others have had the same results.

My barrel is 30".

I have used many 1# cans of H-1000 and haven't seen any signs of inconstant results where one lot of powder was significantly hotter than another. Not sure Hodgdon would produce a powered that was that unstable as the liabilities an insurance claims would put them out of business.

Here is a quick summary of 4 shooters shooting close to the same powder charges al with 300g projectiles:

Shepardsonp - 93.0g H1000 @ 2830 FPS
DanJ - 93.0g of H1000 @2850 FPS
DTTJR - 93.5g of H100 @ 2850
Bassin93 - 92.0g of H1000 @ 2850 FPS

I haven't seen any type of velocity spike in all the yeas i have been shooting H1000. I am not saying it can't happen but it seems like a very stable powder to me.

4 shooters, 1.5g powder variance and only 20 FPS velocity spread. Pretty consistent if you ask me.

I have used many 1# cans of H-1000 and haven't seen any signs of inconstant results where one lot of powder was significantly hotter than another. Not sure Hodgdon would produce a powered that was that unstable as the liabilities an insurance claims would put them out of business.

I would have to agree. H1000 is produced by ADI limited down here in Australia for Hodgdon. It is made only a few hours drive from where I live. Down here it is called AR2217.

I have used it for a long time in a variety of cartridges including the .338Edge. I have seen no sign of pressure variations but put the question to the people at ADI. Their response was that every lot is tested for burning rate to within less than 1%.

With this powder I do however notice an increase in pressure and velocity if I go too long between cleaning the bore of my rifle. I put this down to carbon build up.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I will go with the H1000 powder and work my way up to see what my setup likes. Thanks agian

Hey WSMBUCK,

You hit the nail on the head with "work my way up". Since you are shooting a wildcat and published data is not available you need to do your own research to find what you think is the best starting point based on the info you do have. Information you find on internet forums can help but be critical of information given.

I like to look at similar cartridges to give me a ballpark number. For the Edge, similar rounds would be the Lapua and the RUM. This is the load data from Hodgdons website for H-1000 and the 300SMK.

LAPUA- starting-83 Max-92

RUM-starting-82 Max-88.5

When you do find a powder you are happy with buy a 8 pound can so you don't have to work up the load again every time you buy a new can of powder.

Heres a quote from the Hodgdon website

"If the reloader makes any changes in components or gets new lot numbers, he should begin again with the starting loads and work up to maximum cautiously."

Enjoy your Edge, it will definitely get er done!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts