338 Edge info needed?

NorthernSniper

I'm looking at going to the 338 Edge for my next LR project and I would like a little info if anybody could help me out.
I have read here that what is the easiest route to go is ream out a 338 Sendero. Are we reaming a 338WM into a 338 Ultra Mag ? or are we modifying an existing 338 Ultra Mag chamber? Please excuse my ignorance but I have just started looking at this project an have not had a lot of time to check it out. Any info Appreciated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The easiest way to get an Edge is to ream a 338 Ultra out to 338 Edge. I would set everything forward a thread and rechamber. With that being said if you don't plan on shooting 300 gr bullets, I am not so sure the Edge is worth the work vs a 338 Ultra with lighter bullets. If you want to shoot a Accubond 225 gr it will be hard to see much of a performance gain over the Ultra. If you just want an Edge great. If you chamber a 30" barrel in the EDGE it will be a performance gain with any weight bullet.

NS,

The 300 Ultra Brass is longer than the 338 Ultra brass, thus you get more capacity.

I'm sure Shawn can tell you even more, but you could also do a search of these forums and find more information on it. Shawn's building me a 338 EDGE right now and I should have it by the end of the month. I'll post more on it when I get a chance to take it out and shoot it.

Devin

The 300 Ultra case is about .100" longer than the 338 Ultra case. You can neck up a 300 or neck down a 375 but the 338 is a no show for the EDGE chambering. The Edge chambering will give you roughly 5 or 6 % over a 338 Ultra in capacity.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.