338 edge deer loads

I also learned .........even at seven hundred yards you don't need a cannon for coyote but lightbulb.............he was there and I was there and gun).....well that one did not work out so well as the poor buggers back bone ripped threw his hide when I blew a 3x4 threw his chest broadside. On the other hand I do not understand why anyone would want a cartridge like the edge for light bullets or if they where recoil sensitive. To each there own.....Duke

REGARDING MEAT DAMAGE: All three of us got our elk again this year and the results..............................................................................................................................Wife's 7mm,175grain federal powershock factory ammo 2885fps, one shot @330 yards =damaged far shoulder but not entirely and ran 50 yards............................................................................................................................Rusty's 300wsm, berger 168 mild load 2888fps, two shots@ 409yards= severe damage to both front shoulders and ran 50 yards.........................................................................................................................My 338 edge, 300 grain smk, 2730fps one shot @ 489yards =.338 in 3" out NO meat damage but a couple ribs and no lungs left........DRT.............................................................Shot Placement matters more than bullet weight and in caliber such as this possibly more than bullet construction also............My opinion based on my experience. Thought I would share it..........Duke

I KNOW im gonna get hammered here....but, here goes. If its under 500 yards, WHY, WHY, WHY, does a guy have to use a cannon. Why not just shoot a NORMAL deer sized caliber, in .308 or smaller? I know its a longrangehunting forum. But JEEEEZ.......Ive killed deer cleanly at up to 300 yards with a 25-06. Just sayin......
let the hammering begin!!

I dont think you are going to get hammered because you are right. "But" some of the members
may not have a rifle for all types of game and must make do with what they have.

In many cases I carry two different types of ammo for those times that you have a shot presented
that is not your primary game or distance and carrying multiple rifles is not practical.

If you are hunting with something like a 7 STW or a 7 RUM in anticipation of a long shot and a
close one presents it's self you have a choice, different ammo or a different point of impact.

It is something to think about.

J E CUSTOM

You're right this round is way way over kill for deer size game. At the time I had a spot I could hunt that ranges exceeded 500 yards so I thought it would be good to try. I would not use this gun for deer hunting today. I use my 7mm Remington Magnum. I personally would not use a 308 or smaller (yes, I have used 308 to 243 and wasn't impressed). I know they will kill deer, but they don't drop like they do when hit with a magnum at least in my experiences and those I've witnessed.

Im one of those guys that gets a favorite rifle going and that is mainly what I use. Shot some nice whiteys and mule deer @ archery type range w/340wm no regrets, now Im using my 338 Norma, have a 223,243,257,7mm,325wsm, killled deer w/all of them, just like the big hammers when I rifle hunt, shot some of the best of my big game w/bow

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.