338 EDGE deer load

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by silvercreekguide, Nov 26, 2011.

1. silvercreekguide

silvercreekguide Well-Known Member

Hi everyone. I have recently had to sell all of my rifles to pay for my sisters wedding... I have managed to save one tho, my 338 edge. I have been invited to go on a whitetail deer hunt in about 2 weeks. I have elk loads worked up for this rifle but nothing for small whitetail deer. Most shots will be at close range (20-200yards) but i will take a few out to 1150yards. I need a load that won't just punch through the deer at closer ranges. I know the 338 edge is not the best close range deer rifle but it is all I have right now so any help would be great. Thanks

2. Centxshooter

Centxshooter Well-Known Member

Your accuracy loads will be fine. Just stay away from the shoulder so you dont make a mess. I just recently took a decent cull 8pt @ 83 yds with 338LM shooting 300SMK under 92grs of H1000. Shot for the heart and saved all the good eating parts :)

3. Korhil78

Korhil78 Well-Known Member

S***, you are a better brother than I am!

4. silvercreekguide

Ok good. Ha I did not really want to work up and verify another load before I go anyways. My load is 92.5gr H-1000 pushing a 300gr Berger 2830fps. It is a hammer on elk out to 1600 so i figured on a 150lb whitetail it may be way to much.

5. Mike6158

Mike6158 Well-Known Member

+1 :)

The Edge is such a tack driver (mine is anyway) that I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a white tail at 100 yards. I would hope for a fly to land on the kill zone so I would have something to shoot at :cool::D

6. silvercreekguide

Ha thanks guys, but what about a whitetail at 20 yards???

7. Mike6158

Mike6158 Well-Known Member

Shotgun? Knife? Rock?

Call it names and hurt it's feelings?

8. Rev.

Rev. Well-Known Member

when they are at 20yds I use a pistol of bow:D

9. HARPERC

HARPERC Well-Known Member

I keep reading along, but still uncertain what you are looking to do, avoid meat damage or cause it? I've seen a fair amount of the Accubonds from 180-250's used on whitetail, and I can vouch for the fact they will open on whitetail/antelope sized game at close range. The 180's are very destructive at RUM/EDGE velocities, the 250's less so.
    If it was me I'd leave it be, it's too close to fool with "youth loads" or start changing things. It's race day run what you brung!
    It's a good thing you did for your sister. Old school I like it!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  10. silvercreekguide

Thank you very much. What i am looking for is a load that will expand on a heart/lung shot at close range out of the EDGE and not just put 2 pencil holes . I know that if I hit the shoulder with pretty much any load out of a 338 EDGE there will not be any meat left. All of the people saying to just use a pistol or bow... yes i understand but i am only bringing a rifle.

11. HARPERC

HARPERC Well-Known Member

The 275 grain Swift A-Frame comes to mind. It expands well on "soft targets" at low velocity, and will not explode with high velocity "hard target" hits.

12. Coyboy

Coyboy Well-Known Member

I'm still uncertain why he is paying for his sisters wedding??

and selling his guns to do it??

13. dogdinger

dogdinger Writers Guild

I'm with you cowboy. I mean, heck what does it cost to go to the justice of the peace and get a marriage license? surely not the price of a good rifle.

As far as killing a whitetail, i am sure that 300 grain berger will do the job. hell just head shoot them to save meat. AJ

14. ultraedge

ultraedge Well-Known Member

for actual killing performance on whitetails Hornady's 285 BTHP is tops, followed by Sierra 300 MK with Berger in third