338 Edge Build

Is the Seekins DBM for a long action 700 available now?

It certainly is. Although when I ordered it a few weeks ago it was the last one he had in stock. Not sure when his next run of them will be. Here's a link for those who aren't familiar: Seekins Precision :: Innovative Products for Precision Shooters . It was $410.48 shipped for the bottom metal and two magazines.

A few pics:

DSC_0005-3.jpg

DSC_0006-3.jpg

This 300 RUM is loaded at 3.615" COAL, still lots o' room in there!
DSC_0007-2.jpg

DSC_0008-2.jpg

DSC_0009-1.jpg

+ 1 on the Jewell trigger and APS Painkiller brake. Nice rifle your building. I recently started a similar build and my smith would not use a Rifle Basix trigger on my build.12 new RB triggers and not one passed his impact test without letting the sear slip, which he thought was not acceptable.I contacted 6 well respected smiths ,most from this site before starting my build and 2 of the 6 would not use RB triggers.The others all said they were good triggers for the money.Most agreed the Jewell was better but cost a little more.Im sure many are happy with RB triggers but I went with the Jewell.Just my 2 cents.

12 new RB triggers and not one passed his impact test without letting the sear slip. Thanks for sharing, good to know.

Wow, that original post was a while ago! I'm expecting the rifle back next week so here's an update on the build.

Sourcing a barrel turned into a huge fiasco. I originally ordered the Kreiger... called them at the end of the quoted time frame (over 4 months) and was told my order "never made it over to the other building". Essentially, it got lost in the mix somehow. Was told it would be at least another 6 weeks after already waiting what I was originally quoted. No apology, no offer to bump me to the top, just it is what it is. That CS wasn't acceptable to me.

I called Rock Creek and placed an order with them, canceled the Kreiger happily. Long story short, the Rock ended up being far later than quoted as well, but at least they were apologetic about it.

I was also originally using my Rem700 LA from my Sendero II. I ended up selling that to a buddy and buying a Surgeon RLR. In the end it was only marginally more $ after figuring the truing work on the Rem700, which the Surgeon didn't require. Seemed like a no-brainer. I also did decide on a Rifle Basix trigger... the one personal experience I've had with them was great. I've read over and over that the Jewell's can get finicky on a field gun (dirt, dust, etc), and that weighed heavily on my decision as well. Hopefully the RB will be good to go.

Here's a few pics of some of the parts:

McM A5 w/ Surgeon RLR, FB brake:

DSCN0231.jpg

All of the parts ready to ship out:

b25b6e8d.jpg

And a shot of it "mocked up":

Edge_Mockup1.jpg

I also ordered a Leupold VX3 6.5-20X50 LR/T for now (got it for under $800 with a Midway code, couldn't pass it up). When they start offering the M5 knob upgrade it will be heading up to Beaverton for those and a TMR reticle. For now, it should work.

I should have it back next week sometime and I'm planning the initial range trip for 10/23... update to follow! :D

Last edited:
AJ

You have one fine looking pile o' parts...something tells me you are going to shoot a long long ways with that real soon:)

Keep the forum updated on your progress with this build!

Roscoe just sent me some pics of the Edge...

338E1.jpg

338E6.jpg

338E4.jpg

338E3.jpg

338E5.jpg

338E2.jpg

Man oh man I'm stoked! It's nice to see it after imagining it for the better part of a year. It's going to be a long week waiting for it to get here and pull the trigger on it! Range report to follow...

I made it up to the hills yesterday to shoot at some distance. Shot it from 700-900 yards and we were getting first round hits on MOA sized targets (rocks). That's all the farther we shot it... can't wait to shoot it a bit further. This was with using a Kestrel, "Shooter" ballistics on my DroidX, and running the loads over a CED chrony a few days ago. On one rock at 760 yards, we stacked three consecutive shots on it that were darn near touching. Quite happy with how it's performing! Here are a couple of pics from yesterday:

110710_1.jpg

110710_2.jpg

I've had the rifle for a couple weeks now and 93.5 gr of H1000 seems to be the sweet spot for me. With that charge the 300 SMKs are going about 2820 according to the CED chrony at my club. I shot two five shot groups at 200 yards with each: 93, 93.5, and 94. 93 and 94 both went about 1.5" at 200. 93.5 went into just about an inch on both groups. That's with:

Rem brass
CCI 250
H1000
300 SMK
3.90" COAL
30" Rock 1:9.4" twist

There was about a 2-8 mile per hour wind coming across the range at 3 o'clock which was somewhat gusty. 70% of the spread on the two groups was horizontal so I'm thinking they would have been even tighter on a calmer day. Haven't played with seating depth at all yet, just tested from 92-94 grains of H1000 in .5 grain jumps. Haven't messed with changing any of the components, nor do I plan to at this point. I'm running this load for now.

The rifle is also feeding / extracting / ejecting flawlessly at this point. I had some initial issues with extraction and chambering, both of which were addressed by Surgeon and my 'smith (Louisian Precision) extremely promptly.

I really couldn't be happier with it. Here's a few more pics:

338-1.jpg

338-4.jpg

338-3.jpg

338-2.jpg

I have a .338 Edge.

By Kevin Wyatt out of Southern Oregon. Krieger fluted 30", Rifle Basics trigger, Cerikote, Defensive Edge (Shawn Carlock) recoil lug and break & dyes, Pacific Tool & Gauge bolt, Nosler brass, Manner stock.

I have it set up to shoot Berger 300 gr. Elite Hunters, but since you can't find them (anywhere in the USA), I'll probably have to go back to the SMK, which I can readily find in my location.

Berger Production Sucks!!!

Attachments

• P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 61
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.