338 edge brass reforming

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by bwest270, Dec 18, 2010.

1. bwest270

bwest270 New Member

I am attempting to run 300 ultra mag brass (Nosler) through a redding 338 edge die to expand the necks from 308 to 338. I am getting case deformation due to the pressure required to force that case through that die. I am coating the inside of the necks with lube so that isnt the problem. Any suggestions?

2. signature542

signature542 Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have Shawn Carlock's modified die set and haven't had a problem. He uses a tapered redding expander to just open the neck without using the full stroke of the press handle.
    You then changer the exapnder to a .30 cal expander and resize through the S bushed redding die.

The expander may possibly need a tapered version which just unscrews onto the priming rod if that makes sense.

Glad I went and bought Shawns straight up even if they cost a little more. I was going to do the same and just buy edge dies from redding

Brand new formed Edge cases without fire forming are whacking into in 1 inch with my new girl at 300 . I will hopefully get it down to 1/2 Moa at 300 from my Sendero taper Lawton tube and indicators are I will be able to that once I fine tune the load and length a bit more. Finding the sweet spot around 93gn in MY rifle.. 94 is showing promise with no real pressure signs.Every rifle is different though work up.. I have shots touching but there is some operator error still.

I have just had the firing pin bushed similar to a custom Lawton 7000 firing pin lets see what happens!

3. Kiwi Greg

Kiwi Greg Well-Known Member

You may find that the expander button isn't tapered/smooth enough.

I don't think the Redding one is designed to expand the necks that much.

I had a similar problem so I took the button out & made it more like a Hornady one, using a drill & grinder, then various grits of sandpaper to make it smooth.

4. TAP

TAP Well-Known Member

For me personally, I found the Nosler brass too soft. Was getting pressure signs way earlier than the Remmy brass I am using. Considerably more expensive, and the accuracy in my rifle wasn't any better.

5. jeffro

jeffro Well-Known Member

Use a tapered expander button. I havent had any issues while forming edge brass.