338 edge barrel

I see your point Tikka mike

Hey, I went down the same path building an Edge. By the time you go down the path of buying all the good bits and making them fit are you really saving that much if anything?

This time I went a 7000 Lawton for my7mm Dakota build. Just have to wait as Lawtons are relocating from Dillion Montana I believe to Wyoming and my Smith has 11 plus actions 1/2 finished! CNC operators are an issue it seems out west!
My buddy has a 8500 in a 338 Snipetac and its awesome and well worth the wait..

In any case I hope they get up and running to full capacity again SOON ..They are a very nice action for the price.

I've brought up the fact that Remington and Savage are both doing a factory 338 LM, it seems there are two things, the lug set back over time or with an over pressure load and the barrel thickness over the chamber allowing just enough movement to cause sticky cases. I'm going to build a 338 NM in a Savage when I get the time to test it out, the Savage with a WSM bolt head has more lug than the Rem so I feel safer.

I drive by Lawton's everyday and I've had family work for them back when Barney was still with us, Lawton's issues have ZERO to do with getting CNC operators in Dillon MT!!!!!! Getting paid and it being an absolute circus down there may be the issue!!!!

If it were me or one of my customers I would say go with a Brux barrel, top notch all the way and I have yet to see one that didn't shoot or clean with ease.

The 338-300 RUM is called edge. It is the same performance as the 338 Lapua when loaded to safe pressures. The 338 Lapua is faster if you run hot loads in it because of the Lapua brass taking higher pressures.

You are fine with your 300 RUM if it is accurate. If not you would be better with your action doing either the 338 RUM or 338 SIN. The 338-300 RUM is more trouble and more expensive than the over the counter 338 RUM and both give the same performance. The 338 SIN is maybe 75 fps slower but will fit and feed perfectly in your action with no mods since it is shorter. This allows heavy, long high bc bullets to be seated out to the lands and still feed and eject easily.

To modify your action to handle the 338-300 RUM or Lapua it would make more sense to just get a custom when all costs are considered and functionability. When you go to a custom action then you want to consider a much bigger and better 338 since you are spending the money anyway. No need paying the money for a custom action, etc and being stuck with something 200-300 fps slower than another you could have had.

Well I may be crazy but I have changed my mind about building a 338 edge and changed to 338 Lapua :D. I spoke with the nice people at stiller the other day and I now have a TAC 338 action on order.

hey guys, thanks for all the info. i think i'll stick with the rum for now as i have way too many irons in the fire as it is.

thanks again, mike c.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.