338 edge accuracy issues... input wanted

I had this gun build specifically for the 300 Grain berger bullet and I'm not getting any results back not happy..with H1000 I get 2777 to 2815 retumbo I'm 2852 to 2899 . So if I set the bullet farther back I'm losing more in the speed department.. but if I can't get this to shoot maybe I need to change bullets??

I think some of you guys need to talk to your smiths, they have more experience with these cartridges than you and should be able to address some of what your experiencing or determine if your going about something the wrong way, load issue, gun issue, ect.

If he is unwilling to help, you chose the wrong smith to build your rifle.

Try seating it back, could not hurt and I would be willing to bet you don't lose as much as you expect. I run standard (short) chamber with 89.0 of h1000 in a 24" barrel and still pull 2780 and have more available if I wanted it.

So i'm minis 10 thou off the lands now... i'll try 50 thousands off and see what happens. Are you at sea level or somewhere in the upper elevation like colorado????

Something you may want to look at.
When reloading are you annealing your cases and what amount of neck do you have, also what is the concentricity of your loads??
With my Edge the Remington cases are annealed every second load, neck tension is .0015 and loaded run out is .002 to .0025 .
Using 90 gr H1000 215M primers with 300 Bergers at .015 off lands and it shoots
sub-MOA at MV 2750 , SE 13-16.
With my new Brass from Shawn Carlock, Bertran 338Edge brass, same load information the MV 2815 with SE less than 10. and my groups are tighter.
good luck on finding the problem.
Charlie

i'm using remington brass and i'm not annealing it.. My next load i'm trying is 4.030 to my ogive with my comparator which puts me at 3.885 oal.. Shawn told me 5 to 10 thousands off the lands.. when i use my oal gauge i'm at 4.100 i went five to ten thou back and no good... We'll see what happens now.. Thanks Charlielightbulb

I have found 92-94 grains of h1000 to be to hot in my edge.
I would seat the bullet .020 off the lands and do a ladder at 300 yards starting at 88 grains going up in 1/2 or 1 grain powder charges. I have seen, heard, and read about a few that are shooting good between 89-91 grains. I am also using cci250 mag primers not fed 215's.

If your gun shoots great at 2730-2750fps who cares, it does not need to be shooting in the 2800's to kill stuff.

Many have said the 300 berger is not sensitive to seating depth.

Check and make sure your action screws, bases, and rings are all tight too.

Thanks so much for your input.. but I do care about the MV thats why I went with a 31 in tube... My other edge shot my same 300 gr load 4 shots inside a dime at a 100 yds.and the es was 15. That's sick good. No I'm not spending 4000 on a rifle that won't perform.. oh ya the 27 inch barrel way out preforms the 31in. Plus like you said the Berger isn't as sensitive as some people think they are. .. thanks

I would recomend using a chronagraph to test the load SDs and ESs to start with. If they are
not under 15 ft/sec then you need to change loads. (Bullets ,powder,primer)

Mine did not like the 300 gr bullets or the H1000 so I switched to the 250gr bullets and Retumbo
and H4831sc and groups size dropped to less than 1/2 MOA and SDs below 10.

It is not like the 338s to shoot poorly unless fed the wrong ammo.

There are many things that can be causing your problem and you have to address them one
at a time so you will know where the problem is. all to often we make a lot of changes and
if it fixes the problem but we don't know what it was. So change things One at a time.

I hope this will help because I know how frustrating it can be when a rifle just won't Shoot.

J E CUSTOM
yes i agree when drag racing you do the same thing change one thing at a time until you find the problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.