.338 Cal Hornady 225grn SST

Topshot

Anyone with any experience with the Hornady 225 grn SST in .338?

Hornady dont list a Ballistic Coefficient for the bullet but I did some calculations and come up with a figure of 0.51 which is just behing the 225 grn Nosler Accubond.

I would be interested if anyone has tried them on game and if my figure of .51 matches the bullets performance at long range.

I will be loading up a bunch of them this week and am keen to see how they go.

Hornady claims .430 so you may be a little high on your figure. I've never shot them so can't give any first hand experience. I've shot other SSTs though(6.5mm) and they seem fairly fragile but shoot well.

Hello KRP
I know about the figure of .43 but it didnt seem right after having looked at the bullets and comparing them against the Nosler Ab. So I had a look at the Hornady factory loads for the 338RCM cartridge and compared the factory ballistic trajectory against the JBM ballistic program. Ran it bacwards, and to match the factory trajectory the projectile needed a figure of 0.51 or things didnt shoot as flat as they claim.
So either the figure of .43 is wrong or the factory chart for the 338RCM is very optimistic! I will know in the next few weeks when I field test the projectiles at long range.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.