338 cal comparison

Okay. NOW we are getting somewhere. Brent says his buddy was getting only 2800 (or so I recall. Pardon me Brent if I misread that). My only point was that if that's all you get when you move up to 250's then the .338 Win Mag looked pretty good. If the RUM gets ~3100, then That is a huge difference.
grin.gif

Sheldon, I've got some 180g balistic tips loaded up for the ultra, but can't find the paper from my chrono to see what velocity I was getting. I'm working with a .300ultra that I just rebarreled, I'll take the .338 out early this week and run the 180's over the graph again. My hunting buddy's got a .338 with a 27", #6 taper Shilen barrel on his and if I remember right he's breaking 3500 with the 180g's. You ought to see what it did to his chrono when he nailed it last year!
grin.gif
shocked.gif

[ 05-17-2003: Message edited by: Al Walewski ]

Hey Al have you tried WMR or IMR7828 ? Bet you will get more vel!! Sheldon, if you will give me an address I'll send you what the 225gr @ 2950 with .589 B.C. will do out to 1000 yds. I shot a douglas barrel in .338
win bag for years with good results, real good on game but the ultra mag case is so much better. If you are shooting deer size game try the flat points they are perfect for deer size game!!

The rum out did a .338 flatliner that belonged to a friend of a friend. He would almost lock his bolt trying to get the velocities we were getting. This is just one account. I haven't had any other exposure to the .338 Lapua, so I will not speculate about overall performance!! I would be interested in some information concerning these two cartridges comparitively???

Sniper,
I wasn't saying they were equal but, like the 300wby, the 300 Ultra and the 30/338 Lapua Imp... they ain't all "that" far apart either. It is definitaly the superior cartridge though, and offers enough that it's probably worth it to most guys to make the move up to the Ultra, why not?

My buddy Chuck, his 338 Ultra chronied up near 2890 fps yesterday with a 250 SGK and RL25. I'm sorry and I stand corrected, he was using H4831 when he was getting only 2830 fps.

Try shooting your loads over a chronograph instead of hoping and fantacizing about the little .338 win bag.

grin.gif
I already have a couple "good" chronographs as well, and they get used 90 percent of the time.

I'm using my Oehler 35p and the Oehler 43, what quality of chrony are you using?

I am sure it is not as good as an oehler but it sees alot of use and it is close enough to use with my ballistic programs!
My dope cards seem to miraculously get the job done.

No I haven't. I believe the .338RUM is 90 thou. shorter than the 300 RUM case so there will be an advantage in capacity for the 300 necked to .338. Many variables involved but the longer case could yield a minimal increase in performance.

[ 05-18-2003: Message edited by: sniper2 ]

really close between the 338 rum, and the 300 rum, here goes

300 rum oal=2.850
338 rum oal=2.760the neck length on the 338 rumis .330 in, and the 300 rum sports a .306 in length on the neck, so the difference in case capacity may be 30-40 thousandths max, i am not sure if there is enough of a difference to really matter as far as case capacity goes, i am sure i want a 338 cal, it will be the lapua, or the rum, I just need to decide

I believe the length of the neck is reduced because it's 30 cal, the shoulder moves forward as it moves in.

I've not compared the two but, I think the distance to the shoulder should be about that much shorter too. That would be worth about 4gr capacity. What that would equate to in MV I'm not sure.

Hey Avengeusa I have the solution! Build one of each and you will surely have the right one!!Would be fun trying to see the contrasts.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.