338 Bushing Siize

Nomad

Fired my rifle today it to see what the size of of my brass was. It measured out at .372 on
the out side of the brass.
Need information as to what size of bushing to get for my dies ( Redding Bushing Dies).
Plan is to shoot long range using Berger 300gr bullets... Want enough to hold bullet from
recoil yet not to tight.........
Ideas...

Assuming you used a micrometer to measure as it is more accurate than a dial caliper. You would add .001" for spring back, which would net you .373". If you don't have a reamer print to cross reference, then take that measurement as the neck diameter in your chamber. In the larger .338's, I suggest between .005" and .008" of neck tension. You may want to order bushings .365", .366", .367" and .368".
I use the Wilson bushings over the Redding bushings as the Wilson's have a slight chamfer on the side that does not have the measurement stamp. The numbers go up in your die. I also suggest that you do not lock the bushing down in the die, but give it a bit of free play to help center itself as the neck of the case enters it.
You may also want to measure the neck wall thickness of your brass to see how consistent it is. If you have a variation of thickness then you will have a variation of neck tension. If it varies beyond your acceptable limits, then you may want to uniform the necks by neck turning.

I have a question. Was the .372 measured diameter, AFTER the round was fired and before it was resized, or is it the LOADED round diameter?
Makes a big difference.

Dave

Joel is right on with the suggestion of .365 ~ .368 bushings. I tend to use the .365 and .366 on most. If you are not going to anneal then go with the .365 as after about the 4th firing your spring back will increase.

Jeff

Based on information given above ordered .365-.369 bushings.....
Wish to express my thanks for all the help......

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts