338 bullet BC results from Snipers Hide

can u post a link to the thread? there was a thread on this here but I believe it went cold. I am very anxious to see how noel's bullets did.

The results are real. I was one of the people down-range working the laptops for the chronograph during the test.

Other than Doppler radar, this was the first test (that I am aware of) that simultaneously tested velocity for a projectile at the muzzle, then again at roughly 300-475, and then again at 1,000-1,175 yards. for each shot. The results for 10 shots for each projectile were recorded.

Granted there are aspects of every test that can be done differently by the people running the test, and this was only the first on what we expect will be several demponstrations.

Jeffvn

The results are real. I was one of the people down-range working the laptops for the chronograph during the test.

Other than Doppler radar, this was the first test (that I am aware of) that simultaneously tested velocity for a projectile at the muzzle, then again at roughly 300-475, and then again at 1,000-1,175 yards. for each shot. The results for 10 shots for each projectile were recorded.

Granted there are aspects of every test that can be done differently by the people running the test, and this was only the first on what we expect will be several demponstrations.

Jeffvn

Jeff, I have not had time to read the entire thread yet. But could you tell me , are the BC numbers an average of all readings from the muzzle to 1200 yards?

Thanks

Jeff

Jeff, thanks for the call today, always a pleasure talking rifles and bullets with you.

After we got off the phone I looked at my stepped BC's for the 300 Berges.

In the testing you guys did you have the Bergers at a G7 of .389 to 1200 yards. My BC's start with the G7 BC of .419 and by 1710 yards I am at .380 with a few fluctuations below and above in between. I though it was interesting that my actual field drops fell in line with your test as well. But to get the short end below 1000 yards to match up I have to use .419 which I think is in line with what Bryam Litz found in his testing to 600 yrds.

Thanks

Jeff

Broz

Good to talk with you gain. BC's - an interesting subject. Glad your rifle is doing so well for you.

I agree that stepped BC s may be the only method that can do what you are doing at the distances that you are doing it. Absent doppler range data, or many trips to teh range with these bullets and a chronograph that measure velocity at distance, I'm not sure how we come up with a single BC that accurately describes a bullet from muzzle to subsonic transition and beyond.

I know at least one guy with the Kestrel with Atrag installed in it and another device that believes in combination they are incredible accurate on teh very long range side (beyond 2,000 yards) but, like yourself he has a ton of very long range experience and relies a bunch on his data book also.
JeffVN

Jeff, thanks for the call today, always a pleasure talking rifles and bullets with you.

In the testing you guys did you have the Bergers at a G7 of .389 to 1200 yards. My BC's start with the G7 BC of .419 and by 1710 yards I am at .380 with a few fluctuations below and above in between. I though it was interesting that my actual field drops fell in line with your test as well. But to get the short end below 1000 yards to match up I have to use .419 which I think is in line with what Bryam Litz found in his testing to 600 yrds.

Thanks

Jeff

There is alot of truth in the quote above and probably why the sniper hide guys came up with G7 .389 at 1200yds and Litz came up with G7 .419 at 600yds

Thanks

Jeff

Broz,

Would you mind telling us your G7 steps for the 300 Berger?

I didn't realize you were stepping the G7. I thought you were stepping the G1 from reading earlier posts. I must've missed some posts somewhere.

I'd been wondering if G7 steps would be needed for this bullet and others similar to it as bullets of this form factor are getting farther and farther removed from the form factor of the actual G7 model. So, at that point, we start to need to step G7, just like we step G1.

Not too familiar with Shooter yet. It must allow stepped G7s?

Thanks,

Jon

The currently assessed performance (BC's) for the Berger 300 grain Hybrid is derived from 1000 yard testing, not 600 yards. The originally assessed BC's for the Gen 1 version of this bullet were done at 600 and were inaccurate (something like .890/.450 G1/G7). Since then, I only test .338's at 1000 yards, and the current BC's have been measured repeatedly in several tests at 1000.
Here is my full reply to the Snipers Hide thread regarding the test results:
We (KnS and I) discussed the difference between our results at length when their assessments were published. To summarize, we are very eager to pursuit joint testing in order to learn what we can from each other in order to provide consistent and repeatable test results. When this joint testing comes about, I'm sure we'll address this forum with our findings.

In the mean time, I can share more information regarding my test results with the .338's.

As some of you may remember, when this bullet (the .338 cal 300 grain hybrid) was first released (Gen 1), I had assessed inaccurate performance (.455/.889, G7/G1) based on testing at 600 yards. Further testing at 1000 yards indicated the currently assessed performance of .418/.819, G7/G7.
The cause for the discrepancy in my results is not attributed to BC decay at 1000 yards vs 600 yards, but rather testing at 600 yards is simply too error prone to work with larger caliber, high BC bullets. In other words, normal uncertainties in MV, range, atmospheric variables etc result in unacceptable % uncertainties in measured BC. When measuring the BC of a high BC bullet, the test has to be conducted at longer range in order to manage the measurement uncertainty.
Due to the initial discrepancy of my own results, I proceeded to conduct extensive testing on this bullet at 1000 yards to be 'sure' it was right. The following are my test results by date for this bullet:
date: barrel, performance (G1/G7)
6/1/2010: 1:10-9" gain 30" Bartlein, .819/.420
6/5/2010: 1:10-9" gain 30" Bartlein, .811/.415
6/5/2010: 1:10" 28" Krieger, .825/.422
6/5/2010: 1:10" 28" Krieger, .825/.422
7/7/2010: 1:10" 27" Sako (TRG-42) .822/.421
2/15/2011: 1:10" 27" Sako (TRG-42) .809/.414 *note; low confidence test due to poor light conditions and suspect chrono #'s
2/24/2011: 1:10" 27" Sako (TRG-42) .817/.418

During the 6/1/2010 test, the bullets were also shot for 'drop' at 1000 yards which resulted in BC's of .824/.413. These results are considered lower confidence than the rest of the (tof based) results due to the uncertainties related to drop testing for BC. Nevertheless, the numbers line up well with those derived from tof.

The compiled results make up my (Berger's) assessed performance of:
G1 BC = .818, and G7 BC = .419

I don't think the difference in our results (KnS and mine) are related to BC decay between 1000 and 1200 yards. It's true that G1 BC's vary widely with Mach number, but the G7's wouldn't be 7% different based on just 200 additional yards of flight. There's something else about the tests that are producing different results. It's curious that we measured the same BC for the SMK (the first bullet they tested) and the % error between our results steadily grew thruout the day in the same direction from 0%, to +2%, to +4%, to +7%. Their measured BC for the SMK was only 2% lower than the Berger Hybrid. Just looking at those two bullets side by side reveals dramatic differences in shape which ought to add up to more than 2% difference.

Based on the extensive and consistent test history I have for this Berger bullet and the feedback I've gotten from ELR shooters in the field, I'm confident in my current performance assessment for this bullet. However I'm still very eager to get together with KnS to see if their result is repeatable, and if so, why it's different from mine. It's not about ego or being 'right' for the sake of argument; rather it's about learning how to conduct consistent, reliable, repeatable, and meaningful ballistic performance assessments so that other shooters can make well informed decisions about their hard-earned money.

There are other interesting trends in the KnS test results besides the minor difference in measured BC compared to my results.
1) The difference between manufacturer advertised and measured BC for all the conventional (jacketed) bullets is less than 10%. However, the difference between advertised and measured for the solids is 19% in the case of the GS bullet, and 47% for the Predator (Match). I couldn't find advertised BC's for the ZA276 or the 245 Lehigh. This dramatic discrepancy of claimed performance for monolithics is documented in chapter 18 of my second edition. This is not to say that monolithics are bad, but simply that it's difficult to estimate what the performance will be due to the radical nature of the designs. Factors such as driving bands and additional skin friction drag (from longer lengths) are a couple reasons why it's hard to nail down what the drag will be. But even with the actual performance known, they can be very good, accurate, reliable, consistent bullets capable of reaching out effectively to very distant targets. Just be careful to be realistic about the performance.
2) Although the Berger 300 grain Hybrid has the highest BC of all the bullets tested, that doesn't mean it's necessarily the best overall choice due to the lower MV it's capable of. I figured most of this crowd understand that, but wanted to point it out for clarity.
3) KnS test identified the 245 grain Lehigh as being the actual 'lowest drag' projectile in the test, having a G7 form factor of .92. This is a bullet I've not tested so I can't comment on that result from a verification POV, but I can say that my performance assessment of the 300 grain Berger is a G7 form factor of .90 (a little better than what they measured for the Lehigh).

As you can see, you can make several conclusions about trends that are universally supported by both my and KnS' work. Some conclusions are somewhat supported by both, and some conclusions are simply contradictory. So the tests were a success in the sense that they shine some more light, and when we get a chance to sort out our testing methods together, hopefully we'll get that light focused and revealing the same answers.

Happy Holidays,
-Bryan

Bryan, Thanks for keeping us in the loop. It is appreciated and I hope you and Kns can get together and iron out what is going on such that you both get consistent results.

Would you mind commenting on my post right above yours in this thread?

Jon,

At the ranges we're talking about (1500+) and more importantly, at ranges where the bullet slows to transonic speeds (below about 1340 fps), the need to determine the 'custom drag' of a particular bullet becomes more important for accurate trajectory prediction.

Shooter does allow for piece-wise defined BC's, both G1 and G7; as many as you care to input.

There is another program (mobile app) currently under development that I'm more directly involved in. This 'Applied Ballistics' app will have the ability to use 'custom drag curves' for a number of long range bullets. These custom curves are in no way related to any 'G' standard, so BC's are out the window all together. Rather, these custom drag curves will represent the exact drag of each bullet at each and every speed.
Furthermore, the Applied Ballistics app will allow the user to define and apply one of 3 modes of 'Ballistic Calibration' in which the user enters range/observed drop and the program adjusts either: MV, drag, or drop over the defined range so the solution is matched exactly to a users system. This is similar to the 'trajectory validation' feature of exbal, except it allows 3 different modes, and can handle up to 3 pairs of range/drop pairs.

For shooting out to and even beyond 1000 yards, G7 BC's are plenty accurate enough to give reliable trajectories. However, at extended ranges where the bullet starts approaching and going thru transonic, custom curves and ballistic calibration will help improve the accuracy of trajectory predictions.

This new app will be available by mid Jan (NRA SHOT Show) for android, with an iPhone version soon after, and eventually a windows mobile and blackberry versions are planned as well. The program will have many other new features but I'm only 'leaking' the ones relevant to this discussion for now.

Take care,
-Bryan

Jon,

At the ranges we're talking about (1500+) and more importantly, at ranges where the bullet slows to transonic speeds (below about 1340 fps), the need to determine the 'custom drag' of a particular bullet becomes more important for accurate trajectory prediction.

Shooter does allow for piece-wise defined BC's, both G1 and G7; as many as you care to input.

There is another program (mobile app) currently under development that I'm more directly involved in. This 'Applied Ballistics' app will have the ability to use 'custom drag curves' for a number of long range bullets. These custom curves are in no way related to any 'G' standard, so BC's are out the window all together. Rather, these custom drag curves will represent the exact drag of each bullet at each and every speed.
Furthermore, the Applied Ballistics app will allow the user to define and apply one of 3 modes of 'Ballistic Calibration' in which the user enters range/observed drop and the program adjusts either: MV, drag, or drop over the defined range so the solution is matched exactly to a users system. This is similar to the 'trajectory validation' feature of exbal, except it allows 3 different modes, and can handle up to 3 pairs of range/drop pairs.

For shooting out to and even beyond 1000 yards, G7 BC's are plenty accurate enough to give reliable trajectories. However, at extended ranges where the bullet starts approaching and going thru transonic, custom curves and ballistic calibration will help improve the accuracy of trajectory predictions.

This new app will be available by mid Jan (NRA SHOT Show) for android, with an iPhone version soon after, and eventually a windows mobile and blackberry versions are planned as well. The program will have many other new features but I'm only 'leaking' the ones relevant to this discussion for now.

Take care,
-Bryan

Thanks, Bryan. We'll look forward to learning more about your new app. That sounds great!

Just as well it's not out yet as I'm trying hold out for the next iphone. By then, there should be plenty of good info/reviews out there about the new app.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.