.338 Brass

rossman18

Hello

I am looking into buying a new rifle. I would like to get some sort of .338 caliber like a .338 Allen Mag or .338-378 weatherby Mag or .338 Lapua.

I was wondering how difficult it is to get brass for the .338 Allen Mag and what manufacturer do you guys recommend?

Also what manufacturer would you guys have build you a .338 Allen mag?

Thanks

Rossman

The 338 Allen is one of the wildcats off the chey-tac case. Kirby Allen is a sponsor on here and that is who you need to talk to to build his version of this wildcat. I think some other guys on here do different versions of it. I know there are several versions of the 338-416 chey-tac around the country. These are 200+ fps faster than the 338-378 wby which is 150 fps faster than the 338 Lapua. They are also very expensive to build and are very heavy because of the large actions and beef required to fit the case and handle this much power. Talk to one of the top gunsmiths on here and he can help you with choosing what is right for you.

Re: .338 Brass for sale , information free to all

I have done extensive research on 338 Lapua. In short it offers the most diverse options for reloading and outshines all other 338 rounds. The 338 Ultra comes close but deminishes at longer ranges. I have reloading data which keeps the costs down. I had to sell ALL my guns and my Armalite AR-30 in 338 Lapua is now gone. All my reloading stuff is for sale. I have new and used (3 times or less) Lapua brass. Total of 96 rounds. 20 of them are new. I have the RCBS dies that don't require the lube for the casings. I have about 60 rounds of Lapua Scenre HPBT 250grn bullet. All my information is free though. I absolutely love this round and the AR-30 is a fine and very affordable rifle. Very rugged. Good luck in your search.

Ditto what LTLR said. If you are interested in a Allen mag, talk to Kirby Allen himself, Known here as Fiftey Driver, dont know if that means he drives the speed limit or what:D [email protected]. I dont have one of his rigs but hope to some day and meet him in my traveles around the state.

Lapua is getting to be very common so reloading supplies are too. If you are just getting into it I would go that route.
1. cheaper reloading (dies, brass,etc)
2. easier to find supplies
3. can do anything the others do(killed some diaper heads at 2900yds, none of the others have recorded shots like this)
4. Easier to sell something down the road that is not a wild cat
5. less recoil than others you mentioned
6. More choices for custom builders or pre made guns( many have not done allen mag etc)
7. cheaper loaded ammo and more selection
8. lighter weight if carrying is a concern than much larger allen mag receiver, stock, mag and bottom metal(if hunting is a thought)
just my 2 cents not against any of the others they all have their place

A bit off topic and I'm not trying to hijack this thread but what kind of quality, in comparison to Lapua, does the 416 Barrett brass have? Does anyone do any wildcats off the 416Barrett say maybe a 375-416Barrett? A 338-416Barrett may be a bit to much overbore but it would surrrrrrre make those 300SMK's fly.

Barrett has very good quality products in general so I assume the brass will be excellent. 338 Lapua brass however is extremely well designed as I'm sure you can read in any "googled" article. It would be very difficult to measure up to the 338 Lapua brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.