338 BERGER VLD'S- When will they hit the market ??

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Down Under Hunter, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Down Under Hunter

Down Under Hunter Well-Known Member

338 BERGER VLD\'S- When will they hit the market ??

Does anyone have an update of when Berger are going to release their long awaited line of 338 cal VLD projectiles ? I understand they are planning a 300 grn bullet that potentially will eclipse the SMK for BC ??
    Any news anyone ??

Thanks all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

2. TCKev

TCKev Well-Known Member

Re: 338 BERGER VLD\'S- When will they hit the market ??

Eric at Berger told me they should be ready for the end of the year. they are doing both 250 and 300 grain bullets. I was hoping for a 180 or 200 Grain bullet for a XP-100 project I'm working on.

3. davewilson

davewilson Well-Known Member

Re: 338 BERGER VLD\'S- When will they hit the market ??

they told me we will probably be able to get them the beginning of next year.a 300 gr berger. that will be schaaaweeeet!

4. Fiftydriver

Fiftydriver <strong>Official LRH Sponsor</strong>

I hope they beef up the jackets a little bit at least so they can survive some of the new larger 338 magnums such as that 338 AM that crazy Montana boy came up with!!!

3400 fps and above may not play well with a J-4 jacket with that much bullet weight and length.

Kirby Allen(50)

5. davewilson

i doubt if they're worried about the bullets surviving 3400fps.not much of a market for that speed. 2700-3100 is where the action is and i would be surprised if their bullets survive speeds much above that.

6. Steve7mm08

Steve7mm08 Well-Known Member

Any update on the .338 Berger VLD bullets?

7. remingtonman_25_06

remingtonman_25_06 Well-Known Member

I will definatley be giving them a try when and if they ever come out of my 338 EDGE. If there BC is any better then the SMK, then it should be a great bullet in those class of cartridges. Hoping the BC is around .825 or .850 would be awesome.

8. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Writers Guild

Spent the weekend at the 1k Br Nationals with the Hornady reps two weeks ago. They are finalizing installing the guards on the machine for their 300 grain 338 AMAX also. BC is supposed to be right at .9

BH

9. remingtonman_25_06

remingtonman_25_06 Well-Known Member

Wow, thats great news!!

So how long till they hit the market??

10. davewilson

a 338 300gr A-max...now that's very appealing!

11. uncleB

uncleB Well-Known Member

I agree, cant wait to try some. will be shocked if the B.C. is even close to .9
    UB
    p.s. if I were to bet I would put my money on Hornady having it's 300 out long before Berger

12. JeffVN

JeffVN Well-Known Member

I traded emails with someone at Berger about 2 weeks ago on this topic and they will be lucky to have bullets on the market by the end of the year.

JeffVN

13. geargrinder

geargrinder Well-Known Member

This is what I was told by Eric Stecker of Berger Bulletsa couple months ago:

The 338 cal is a huge project for us since none of our existing tooling can be used in making these bullets. Also, as I mentioned above we need to assemble another machine with a longer stroke. Our goal is to finish this project by the end of the year. We have much to do between now and then so I can't say for sure when they will be coming off the press. Check back with us in November to see how we are progressing.

Not soon enough, but it will be great when they get here.:)

14. Bravo 4

Bravo 4 Well-Known Member

It will be great...as long as they work with a 1-10 twist, on both accounts.