338 barel for 250gr Berger 5R or, and what twist???

wasgas

I am shopping for a new barel for a 338rum or edge still undecided but plan on shooting 250gr Bergers. What barel twist should I get and will I see an advantage with button rifling or not?

Thanks

I am shopping for a new barel for a 338rum or edge still undecided but plan on shooting 250gr Bergers. What barel twist should I get and will I see an advantage with button rifling or not?

Thanks
I would choose a 10 twist for 250 Berger because it is better to spin them harder then not enough. It it was me i would think about a 9 to 9.5 with the option of shooting the 300 grain Bergers. They will also work in a 10. In competition i broke records with Broughtons which is buttoned and also with Kriegers which are cut. Both companies have given me great barrels. Matt

In the past I have used 300's but the newer 250 seem like they would be a better choice for me. Should I find a 9.5 twist for a good compromise?

I'd run a 9-9.3 just so you are sure to stabilize the 300s if you ever decide to shoot them. And it'll stabilize the 250s fine.

If your never going to shoot a 300 gr bullet I would use a 1-12 with the 250 elite hunter, if you might shoot the bigger bullets a 1-10 is standard issue and works very well, I do not like twisting them any faster than needed unless a copper bullet is being used. I'm very fond of Hart barrels in a 338!!

Twist helps bullet open up on impact. The more you twist them the better they open. You can twist them so hard that at high velocity they will open before they get there. A 10 twist would be good for all round performance for either the 250 or 300 grain bullet. Hart barrels used to win at 1000 yard BR about 10 years ago. They don't win much any more and don't show up near as much as the past. Kriegers and Broughtons pretty much dominate the winning at Williamsport 1000 yard. We have about 90 light guns (under 17 lbs.) and 70 heavy guns at every match, so this is not a small sampling. These guys build a lot of guns to win and use what works.

The standard 1-10 twist will easily stabilize any 300 gr lead core/cup jacketed bullet on the market. Especially using a 338 RUM or larger chambering. I would recommend going with a 1-10 twist. It never fails that you may get an itch to try the big 300 gr bullets and you would need the 1-10. THe 1-11 would be just fine for the 250 gr if that was the only bullet you would ever use but why limit yourself that way.

A 1-10 twist will also shoot the 250 gr pills extremely well. Groove design is more a personal preference more then actually seeing one design as better then the other. IF the barrel is made properly from a good barrel maker, it will shoot if installed properly, no matter what groove and land design is in the barrel.

If you want to be able to say you have a 5R barrel, go for it but I have never been able to prove to myself that they are any more accurate then a conventional 6 groove barrel of top quality.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts