338 AM assembled, pics....

Robbor,

Yep, as mentioned, look at the pic that SS7mm posted comparing the 2" BAT with the Rem 700. You can see the recoil lug under the receiver. I also bedded my receiver so that the rear of the receiver is also acting as a recoil lug eith a tapes width of clearance on the tang taper to prevent any wedging effect that may cause a split. The rear of this receiver has more bring surface then the recoil lug!!!

I believe my barreled receiver is a bit over 30 lbs. add a 25 lb stock, a very heavy USS Xotic scope and 1.5 lbs worth of scope rings and you are pushing 60 lbs in a hard way!!

Dan lists my barrel at $510+shipping. The price goes up quite a bit for a 2" diameter barrel at 40" with a price of $570. Yes it will cost $30 to ship one of these barrels so D-As price quote is right on the money!!

Yes, if you go with a 2" BAT, it really does not make alot of sense to go to less then a 1.750" diameter barrel. Even if your only going to use 30" of barrel length, the receiver will take it easily and the **** thing is already heavy so why not make it as stiff as possible.

Bruce also makes a 1.650" x 10" and a 1.750" x 10" receiver as well. For the lighter barrels in the 1.500" range these are good choices.

For a 1.350" to 1.450" barrel diameter I like his 1.55" diameter receivers. With a real long 1.5" barrel I would recommend a barrel bedding V-Block. May not be needed but still would recommend it just to be safe.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

ArthurJ,

Yes she will be pretty mean looking when finished, hopefully its performance will be even meaner. In this 40" barrel, I suspect 3300 fps will be practical with the 350 gr ULD RBBT.

That will be good for almost 8500 ft/lbs of energy!!! Will be packing right around 1700 ft/lbs of energy, at 2000 yards /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!!

At 1000 yards it will have over 3900 ft/lbs of energy if we can reach these numbers and the BCs hold for this bullet. That should be able to anchor some big game with good shot placement.

At 2000 yards she should only be 600 ft/lbs behind a 750 gr A-Max from a 50 BMG at 2700 fps which is a serious load for a BMG. Most load to around 2600 fps for shooting comfort.

Now if I can talk Richard into building me some heavy 375 cal bullets, the 375 AM will be on its way!!! Well, a bit down the road anyway!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Joecool,

No, yours will be much more user friendly to carry around. TO shoot as well. I know for a fact your lighter 338 AM with an APS brake will recoil far less them my 60 lb 338 AM.

It will be similiar to a 243 in a heavy varmint rifle I assure you. That being with the 300 gr bullets. The 350s may be a bit more active but not much.

I think your elk herd will be in serious trouble with either bullet though!!

I know its hard to wait but it WILL be worth it my friend!!

Kirby Allen(50)

GG,

Hey, I am not sure about the better paint job, rememeber my Kahn has the same color as your MOAGs, I kind a like that color scheme!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

James,

Not sure exactly what the USS scope weighs, never put it on a scale by itself. I will say comparing the two side by side. It feels nearly identical to the Nightforce 8-32 NXS 56mm scopes. Its pretty heavy.

Ya know, we can whip you up one of these babies. Joecool is having one morphed with a left hand bolt!!! Everyone needs to put 150 gr of powder under a 338 bullet!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

D-a,

I will have to hire a couple high school kids to pack your barrel around when I am working on it. Mine was about all I could handle at times, especially bedding!! Will have to eat my wheaties when I work on your rifle!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,

Dans Barrel weight calculator has my barrel at 33 pounds. I almost opted for a 42 in beast instead of the 40 incher.

Who do you talk with at Mcmillian? They told me today they had to have the action to inlet for it

d-a

JDJones,

I build my own brakes for any rifle with a muzzle diameter over 1.250" in diameter. They are a four port design with solid bottom and top. No need for top ports on these heavy rifles, just want as much Square inches to help stop the rearward movement of the heavy rifles.

Here are a couple pics of my brakes before fitting and taper contoured to match the barrel diameter.

396263.jpg

313794.jpg

This pic show the APS brake next to a Holland 5/8-28 tpi brake. Give you an idea on size difference. For smaller diameter barrels, I can not machine these brakes and make it profitable or cost effective for my customers so I simply use the great Holland QD brakes.

313796.jpg

This is one fitted and matte finished to match barrel finish.

387517.jpg

This is another that has been fitted and teflon coated on the finished rifle. Notice this brake has larger ports then the first pic. This is a final design to offer more Square inches for the gases to work against. They work pretty well. In a 25 lb rifle chambered in a 338 Kahn shooting a 300 gr ULD RBBT to 3100 fps, recoil is identical to a heavy varmint rifle in 22-250.

Both of these barrels are 1.350" in diameter.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Wow , looks like a Holland on Steroids , I guess when nobody else makes brakes for that big of a barrel you have to build your own

Thats pretty much the reason why I make them.

Well, breaks over, got to get back over to the shop, working on a Nesika Bay based 338 Lapua which should be alot of run when finished!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Wow!!! awesome rig Fifty. I am having one built just like it.
1. 338 Yogi (338 Lupa Magnum Improved) Designed by Dave Tooley
2. Throated for the 300grn Sierra MK
3. Bat 10" Action
4. Lilja 36" 1.750 straight cylinder/Muzzle Brake
5. McMillan 50HBR with weight added/Color, Green and Black Marble. Nickname "GANG GREEN LIGHTNING"
6. Jewell 2oz trigger
7. Custom base with 20 MOA
8. Kelby Rings
9. Topped with a Nightforce 12x42x56mm NXS
10. Weight of rifle, 65lbs
I will be using this rifle for long range squirrel hunting out to 1500 to 2000 yards. My rifle is being built by Dave Tooley out of North Carolina. If anyone reading this post is thinking about having a rifle built like this, call Dave. Dave Tooley is an awesome gunsmith, he built my 6.5x284 and it is one hell of a shooter. My best 3 shot group at 100 yards with my 6.5x284 is currently .083. He does beautiful work, and he is a great guy to talk too. He is very helpful and will answer any question you may have about building a custom rig.
I am looking at getting around 3100 fps to 3200 fps with the 300grn MK. I bet with the 40" barrel, you are going to get close to 3600 fps to 3650 fps with the 300grn MK. Wow, that is going to be impressive. I can't wait until I get it, I should have it soon. I do not know how to post pics, however, my wife has informed me that she knows how. I will try to post a picture when she arrives. Let us know how it shoots, ASAP.

Wildcat

P.S. If anyone has any history or knowledge regarding the 338 Yogi, I would love to hear your comments and suggestions on load data.

Wildcat,

I would hope that if anyone was reading a post titled "338 Allen Mag assembled, pics..." which was posted by the rounds inventer and the rifle builder who made the rifle that they would want to get more information about my round and my rifles, not get information about Dave Tooley and his rifles or rounds.

I an not one to get real bothered by post hijacking but if you want to give Dave Tooley a plug, please start your own post.

Again, this is not an attack on you, or Dave. Dave is a great smith, world class in fact and the 338 Yogi is a great round but this is a post about the 338 Allen Mag and My APS rifles which like Dave I do for a full time living.

Your rifle sounds like a great set up, start a seperate post tell us all about it and give Dave a plug. He certainly does not need it but us rifle builders can use all the plugs we can get from customers. As far as your rifle is concerned, Goodgrouper and Uncle B have the MOAGs chambered in basically the same thing you are getting and in basically the same rifle. I do not think they are running much over 3000 fps in that rifle. I know they are not getting 3200 fps or anywhere close to it. You may be a bit optomistic in your velocity expectations unless you REALLY push the round hard.

Again, do not want to offend you and I am not offended by your post, just asking for a bit of courtious respect when posting.

Its kind of like posting on LRH but advertising for another competing chat room. Nothing really wrong with it but not overly respectful either.

No ill will, have a good day! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

wildcat, sounds like a great gun, but I'll have to agree with Kirby on this one. It was a bit weird to read your post in this thread...start another and show some pics...

I would love to see some 1000 yd groups out of your gun Kirby. besides some 50's I've seen, that is one of the biggest guns I've ever seen, looks impressive!!! looking forward to the range reports!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.