338 Allen Xpress, first load developement session....

Jon A,

Tested again yesterday morning and results from 0 to 400 yards were very good, past that need to do some more work which I will early this morning.

I checked the things you mentioned, so far the scope seems to be functioning properly. More testing results today. Have some things I need to retest to confirm results before posting.

Kirby Allen(50)

Acloco,

Yes, I used the correct Bar Pressure, Altitude, Temp and humidy for the shooting conditions taken right off the Kestrel at the bench.

Kirby Allen(50)

James Jones,

I have done some penetration tests on water filled 2.5 gallon jugs. These are heavy sided jugs similiar to what you would see in a plastic gas jug, not thin milk jugs.

I lined 3 of them up at 1000 yards and hammered them with my 338 AM, All three jugs were split completely in half but I did not find any bullet frags although from looking at the distruction of the jugs, I suspect the bullet had extreme expansion but it did rip through all three jugs, or at least something did!!!

Yesterday I shot my smaller 338 AX with these bullets at 100 yards to see what they would do on the same jugs. Muzzle velocity was right around 2950 fps. I lined 4 jugs up and centered them with a shot.

The first two jugs simply exploded but interestingly enough, the destruction path was not what I expected:

On the first jug, there was a perfect bullet hole entrance, exit blew the back of the jug out.

On the second jug impacted, the entrance hole was roughly 1/2" diameter is all but the exit again did severe damage to the back side of the jug ripping a 5 to 6" ragged hole in it.

The third jug had a 3/4" oblong hole for an entrance wound but no exit. Only thing found in that jug however was some small lead frags.

I did find some larger core frags around the impact sight. Ranging in size from 20 to 78 grains in weight.

These jugs are roughly 7" thick so the bullet got at least 15" of penetration.

I will not be shooting these at real long range on this upcoming hunt so I just wanted to see if they would penetrate at close range. They will do better as the range increases for sure.

In my opinion, as this bullet sits right now, I would not feel it would be a good idea to center a bull elks shoulder knuckle at close range. I will be taking only clean chest shots with this bullet on the upcoming hunt.

I have always found that actual on game penetration is better then it is in water tests simply because initial expansion in water is so violent compared to on game. Similiar to wet paper tests which seem to be easier on bullets then water.

It is my opinion, this bullet as sits, may very well be the single best extreme range deer and pronghorn bullet I have ever tested. It will be adiquate for elk the longer the range the better.

I plan on testing some more this week, hopefully into some Clay media.

Kirby Allen(50)

Sounds close to what I'm looking for but actualy I'm looking for a thinner jacket in a bullet that will expand faster at lower velocities.

Reason : I'm playing with the idea of necking a 6mm BR up to 338 and getting some subsonic loads. I'd like to get a good round with plenty of energy for shooting varmints out to 300yds through a suppressor. I think that the case volume of the BR coupled with the big bore to powder ratio would make for a very effecicent round out of a 18" barrel and would not need a realy big can to trap the gas.

James,

Richards original design was based on a very thin jacket and would serve your needs perfectly!!!

Just to thin for a large capacity magnum chambering. Give him a call and see what he can do for you. Hell, I have some I would be willing to send your way, only thing I can do with them is make shrapnel!!!

Let me know if you want to try some, they are 300 gr versions.

Kirby Allen(50)

Wanted to get those pics up. Thanks to Eaglet for the link to the other pic host site, seems to be working well.

This is a pic of the rifle I will be using on the upcoming elk hunt to test the 338 AX as well as the new 265 gr AT RBBT bullet for WIldcat Bullets.

338allenxpressleftel7.jpg

The picture quality is not the best because I had to reduce it alot but you can see the rifle and the unique carbon fiber shell on the Manners stock with the clear coat finish.

338ax338lapua338axrc7.jpg

Here is a pic comparing the parent 338 Lapua to its offspring the 338 Allen Xpress. All are loaded with the 265 gr AT RBBT.

Give you an idea what I am talking about.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,

Originally it was bwaites who posted that link, I just reposted so that when you click on it would take you there.

I'm passing the thanks to bwaites since I enjoyed those pics. :)

Thank you bwaites!

Kirby,

Sorry for the late reply, thanks for posting the pics. The 338AX is one mighty impressive cartridge. You are actually building one up for a friend of mine, hes up in the Pacific NW.

JD338

Kirby, what power is your scope set on when you were using mildots instead of dialing in the drop?

Also I thought everyone waiting on these 265's should know Richard has the new jackets but now his tips don't fit right because of the thickness of the jacket and he is waiting on new tips now.

Last edited:
I generally use a FFP scope for my big game hunting. Used to use the Weaver Tactical 4.5-14 FFP but it has since been pulled from the market and those that are out there are to **** spendy!!! Great scope for the money though.

Other then that I use the Leupold 3.5-10x 40mm Mark4 FFP.

I like the FFP for general big game hunting rifles that will be used out to 1/2 mile or so. More then accurate enough for big game out to those ranges and lets you use any power setting you want and still use the hold over with the reticle reference points.

If I do use a standard scope for big game hunting. It is generally a Nightforce 5.5-22x 50mm with the NP-R1 reticle. I set the scope on 11x so that there are 2 moa between each reference line on the vertical stadia. I can also always crank her up to 22x and have 1 moa between each reference line or turn it all the way down to 5.5x and have 4 moa between each line. I have found 11x to be about the best and its more then enough to shoot well past 1000 yards on big game. I took my pronghorn at 1300 yards with this scope and setting this past fall on my 338 AM, more then enough.

When I shot my bull with my 338 Allen Xpress this last fall, I shot off 8x and he was at 605 yards and that was more then enough X on the Weaver Tactical. The bullet impacted within 2" of where I expected it to.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.