338 allen express vs. 338-378 weatherby (not starting a war thread)

Discussion in 'Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)' started by vendetta333, Apr 29, 2013.

1. vendetta333

vendetta333 Well-Known Member

As said, not looking to start a war thread, just curious as to some peoples opinions. kirby i.would love if.you weighed in yourself. i know they are almost identical in performance but the ax is shorter. ither than that pros/cons all info appreciated. thank you

2. extreme

extreme Well-Known Member

Now if you don't think this is funny ,,you need to get the hell out of here.

3. laserflat

laserflat Well-Known Member

Theyre about equal far as I can tell. ~3000fps +/- with a 300gr bullet. Brass definitely gone be better on the Lapua. Plus you dont use quite as much powder in the AX. I would go for the AX. Not to mention anything from Mr Allen is going to be far and away better and more accurate than something from Weatherby. No offense to Weatherby rifles/fans, thats just the nature of the business of custom vs mass-produced.

jfseaman likes this.
  4. new shooter

new shooter Well-Known Member

I have had both. I still have the 338 AX. Best gun i have every owned. I have 900 rounds through it and it is still a 1/2 moa gun waaaaaaaaay out there. Lapua brass last way longer then weatherby. Joe

5. fmajor

fmajor Well-Known Member

No comment - thread subscription!

This one's (hopefully!) going to be really interesting.

For me, I'm looking to one day have a 338 Raptor built, but that's a little more ummph than either of these.

6. X-man

X-man Well-Known Member

As mentioned the cases are very close in capacity and so is performance.

The key here is the case.
    The Lapua will live a long long long time...The Weatherby...Probably 5 firings...If you are lucky and load to mild pressures.

7. cowboywhorses

cowboywhorses Well-Known Member

Still always could go 338 snipe -tac .

8. kristian55

kristian55 Active Member

This is an incorrect comparison 338 SnipeTac and .338 AX, need to compare
    338 SnipeTac and .338 AM

Raptor Receiver and .338 AX-a great combination, you have the opportunity to work with a factory .338LM and .338 AX.

jfseaman likes this.
  9. Big Jake Duke

Big Jake Duke Well-Known Member

Oh by the way-

I have a set of Redding 338-378 dies i will never use Pm me with an offer + pay for shipping and their yours!

10. ELR Researcher

ELR Researcher Well-Known Member

I have been shooting an APS-built .338 AX (+P) with 36" barrel for well over a year - Berger 300s at 3244. The barrel length and +P (very long throat) make all the difference.

11. B23

B23 Well-Known Member

So do you have an actual +P throat done by Defensive Edge Rifles or just a "very long throat" as you call it because they are definitely NOT one in the same. The "+P" throat design is not just a really long freebore throat.

12. jfseaman

jfseaman Well-Known Member

I'm reacting to the implication that rifle +P throating is/was a Defensive Edge technology. If you are aware that it is not. No big deal.

Shawn Carlock was not the inventor of +P for rifles by using long throats. Roy Weatherby was doing that before Shawn was born. There may have been others trying it before Roy.

ELR Researcher can comment on whether he sent is rifle to Shawn Carlock for +P treatment after it was built by Kirby Allen of Allen Precision Rifles. I would not believe so but ELR Researcher will be along shortly to say for sure.

13. jfseaman

The 338 AX is a 338 Lapua "Improved" chambering unique to Allen Precision Rifles. Based on the 338 Lapua.

The 338-378 is one of the caliber "versions" of the 378 Weatherby, which also includes the 416 Weatherby and 460 Weatherby.

I think the 338 Allen Magnum, a much larger case than the 338 AX or 338-378 and I believe it is based on a 505 Gibbs "long" case. Same as the 338 Snipetac and CheyTac chamberings.

If one were to "improve" the 338-378 Weatherby the same way the 300 Ackley Improved is an improved 300 Weatherby then the case capacity and performance would be somewhere in between the 338 AX and the 338 AM.

14. jfseaman

Being a Weatherby preferrer, I would have a Wby Mark V built to the same standards as and ASP chambered in 338-378 Improved Long with Jamison brass from CapTec International