338 allen express vs. 338-378 weatherby (not starting a war thread)

vendetta333

As said, not looking to start a war thread, just curious as to some peoples opinions. kirby i.would love if.you weighed in yourself. i know they are almost identical in performance but the ax is shorter. ither than that pros/cons all info appreciated. thank you

Theyre about equal far as I can tell. ~3000fps +/- with a 300gr bullet. Brass definitely gone be better on the Lapua. Plus you dont use quite as much powder in the AX. I would go for the AX. Not to mention anything from Mr Allen is going to be far and away better and more accurate than something from Weatherby. No offense to Weatherby rifles/fans, thats just the nature of the business of custom vs mass-produced.

I have had both. I still have the 338 AX. Best gun i have every owned. I have 900 rounds through it and it is still a 1/2 moa gun waaaaaaaaay out there. Lapua brass last way longer then weatherby. Joe

No comment - thread subscription!

This one's (hopefully!) going to be really interesting.

For me, I'm looking to one day have a 338 Raptor built, but that's a little more ummph than either of these.

As mentioned the cases are very close in capacity and so is performance.

The key here is the case.
The Lapua will live a long long long time...The Weatherby...Probably 5 firings...If you are lucky and load to mild pressures.

Theyre about equal far as I can tell. ~3000fps +/- with a 300gr bullet. Brass definitely gone be better on the Lapua. Plus you dont use quite as much powder in the AX. I would go for the AX. Not to mention anything from Mr Allen is going to be far and away better and more accurate than something from Weatherby. No offense to Weatherby rifles/fans, thats just the nature of the business of custom vs mass-produced.

I have been shooting an APS-built .338 AX (+P) with 36" barrel for well over a year - Berger 300s at 3244. The barrel length and +P (very long throat) make all the difference.

I have been shooting an APS-built .338 AX (+P) with 36" barrel for well over a year - Berger 300s at 3244. The barrel length and +P (very long throat) make all the difference.

So do you have an actual +P throat done by Defensive Edge Rifles or just a "very long throat" as you call it because they are definitely NOT one in the same. The "+P" throat design is not just a really long freebore throat.

So do you have an actual +P throat done by Defensive Edge Rifles or just a "very long throat" as you call it because they are definitely NOT one in the same. The "+P" throat design is not just a really long freebore throat.
I'm reacting to the implication that rifle +P throating is/was a Defensive Edge technology. If you are aware that it is not. No big deal.

Shawn Carlock was not the inventor of +P for rifles by using long throats. Roy Weatherby was doing that before Shawn was born. There may have been others trying it before Roy.

ELR Researcher can comment on whether he sent is rifle to Shawn Carlock for +P treatment after it was built by Kirby Allen of Allen Precision Rifles. I would not believe so but ELR Researcher will be along shortly to say for sure.

The 338 AX is a 338 Lapua "Improved" chambering unique to Allen Precision Rifles. Based on the 338 Lapua.

The 338-378 is one of the caliber "versions" of the 378 Weatherby, which also includes the 416 Weatherby and 460 Weatherby.

I think the 338 Allen Magnum, a much larger case than the 338 AX or 338-378 and I believe it is based on a 505 Gibbs "long" case. Same as the 338 Snipetac and CheyTac chamberings.

If one were to "improve" the 338-378 Weatherby the same way the 300 Ackley Improved is an improved 300 Weatherby then the case capacity and performance would be somewhere in between the 338 AX and the 338 AM.

Being a Weatherby preferrer, I would have a Wby Mark V built to the same standards as and ASP chambered in 338-378 Improved Long with Jamison brass from CapTec International

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.