338-378 Wby 300smk loading help

huntaz

I'm new here and I am looking for help shooting heavy bullets out of my Wby Accumark 338-378. I heard so much about the 300smk that I would like to try some. I Got some samples from Sierra while I was at the SHOT Show in Vegas. I have had good success with RL25 but I will try what ever has worked well for others. I want to shoot elk out to 800 yards or more. Any help is appreciated.

I have not loaded for the 338-378 Wby but I have loaded ALOT for the 338 Kahn which is simply a 338-378 Wby with a conventional 35 degree shoulder instead of the double radius Wby shoulder.

I have aways gotten great results with H50BMG in the Kahn with the 300 gr SMK. You will not get the absolute max velocity possible but pressures are very comfortable, brass life is very good(can be a problem with the WBy) and consistancy and accuracy are amazing.

If you want some load data let me know. I will look it up for you in my load log book over in the shop. I would drop those charges by 10% for the slightly smaller capacity but they should work just as well.

Powders such as Retumbo would also work well but load density willl be less.

Kirby Allen(50)

I was given a load of 99 grns of RL25 for the 300 SMK. Let me know if you think that sounds about right. I know my gun likes hot loads and I currently shoot 180 acubonds with 115 grns of RL25. Any help would be appreciated.

Rod

338-378

I have loaded for this round using Hodgen H870 in a Harris rifle with good results.. From memory the load was 123gns of H870 behind the 300gn SMK for 3060 fps.. Barrel length was around 27 inches

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts