338-378 & Powders

David, that answers allot of the questions... I'm still not convinced it's the powder burn rate from case to case. The second time you shoot, the other rounds that you have loaded that increase in velocity, is the temp significantly higher than the first range session?
I'm not a fan of the run of the mill scales.. What we are doing with these rifles demands a laboratory grade scale. I used to use what you are currently using, then I spent the money to buy a Denver Instruments high end scale. You would be surprised what the difference is between loaded rounds when you compare the two.

I appreciate your concern, but I'm telling you the burn rate is changing. I don't have a problem with these scales. When I can hold velocities to 1 1/2" vertical dispersion at a thousand yards I'm happy & I know people who would kill for those results. You sound like Hodgdon. I find it ironic thst after all these years I forgot how to load. I am very thorough & extremely sensitive to results I find. The burn rate is changing, & I'm not the only guy around here who has discovered this. Thanks anyhow

Sorry if I sound like Hodgdon, and I never suggested you forgot how to load..

I was simply trying to help you with your problem by analyzing the information you provided. I still find it hard to believe that the burn rate is changing from case to case.

If you still want my help, perhaps it's best to converse offline.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.