338-378 Accumark Opinion

miked

Have long time experience with big bore hunting rifles, reloading, and general shooting. However, new to the medium bore long range avocation. Have a chance to aquire a new 338-378 Accumark. What are your opinions regarding this rifle and accuracy potential?
If this is a good starting point in your opinion:
1) Does the factory trigger lend itself to acceptable adjustment or should it be changed?
2) Should a picatinny one piece scope base be used on this rifle or would Burris Signature(inserts) dual dovetail mounts be appropriate?
Thanks for any info. Regards.

The best over the counter long range rifle in that price range. The trigger can be adjusted to two pounds crisp which for cold weather hunting is close enough.

As far as scopes, mounts, rails and such just depends on how you want to set it up and how far you want to shoot. This rifle will easily get you to 1000+ yard kills on about anything with a standard mounting system and proper handloads. Just plug in the bullet, velocity and range you want to shoot and see if your scope has the adjustment for it. I have 338-378's set up with 225 accubonds at 3450 fps that easily get me over 1000 yards with mil dots out of a 28" barrel. I get 3064 fps out of the 300 SMK with another 338-378 set up for extreme range shooting at a mile or so.

If the price is right you will have an excellent rifle.

Well let me back up a little bit. At the price I can get used ones that are as new which is $1100-$1300 they are one of the best buys. I have no idea what they sell for new.

Last edited:
miked,

+1 for what Long Time Long Ranger said. He is the resident Guru on the 338-378 so just heed his advice on that round and you will do well. I am a big fan of the 338-378 and wildcats made from it along with other of the big 338s too, but I'm just a piker compared to LTLR. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.