338-375 Ruger Demon

Of course I can't answer for the prior members who've posted in this Thread. I'm currently fireforming .375 Ruger cases for elkaholic's 300/375 S.I. Ruger wildcat. I've measured case head expansion as high as 0.001" per single firing thus far. As a rule of thumb, I consider anything more that 0.0005" per single shot fired to be pushing it. I'm just getting started and cannot yet comment on how many shots the Ruger .375 brass will remain useful for at 0.0005" expansion per shot fired. Probably less than 4 times before the primers are too loose.

I don't claim to be the all-knowing expert on this subject matter, but I'll share this: Long ago I read an article from a guns editor of one of the outdoor hunting magazines; Outdoor Life, Field & Stream, or Sports Afield. The article covered methods for identifying a safe maximum pressure load in one's personal rifles - for the hand loader. The author stated case head expansion just ahead of the rim on a beltless casing, and on the belt of a belted cartridge, should not exceed 0.0005" in a single firing. If it exceeded 0.0005" case head expansion with a single shot fired, then one should conclude that the maximum charge in that firearm is being exceeded. It seems this measurement is similar to another rule of thumb often mentioned. If the primer pockets remain tight for reuse for up to 5 firings, then the load is probably not excessive in that casing and firearm.

I've read a lot of additional material on this subject since that article. Some disputing the wisdom of using case head expansion to determine maximum safe pressure loads. Different case manufacturers provide casings with differing case head thicknesses and some are are more prone or less prone to case head expansion at equal pressures. However I've been hand loading for 40 years and since I read that article and began monitoring case head expansion, I've found this 0.0005" case head expansion rule-of-thumb for identifying the danger zone of maximum loads to be a useful and reasonable guideline.

I read this Thread recently and reached a personal conclusion that the loads producing the velocities posted in the 338-375 Ruger Demon surely exceed the maximum pressures that would be condoned for a factory cartridge of similar case capacity in any reloading manual. There is no other explanation. Velocity is primarily the result of case capacity and pressure, within any specific bore diameter. I don't believe there's anything magical about any particular casing design that accounts for huge differences in MV compared to other cartridges of similar capacity (volume). Case capacity, case pressure, and barrel length explain MV. There are some additional factors that play a lesser role.

Some of the inordinately high velocities posted earlier on in this Thread will surely expand primer pockets beyond further use in short order, in my opinion. Perhaps in a single firing, but almost surely within three firings per casing.

Well stated Paul! With my go to hunting load of H1000 which is 80 grains behind my 208 SXR, I get about 3020' mv, one hole accuracy, and 7-8 firings. I get the same thing with 79 grains and the 215 Berger. Velocity is also as high and I attribute that to the short bearing surface on the Berger. I have not honestly done enough testing with RL 33 yet to determine anything other than very high velocity and good accuracy are possible. I think max with a 230 Berger is likely around 88 grains?.............Rich
p.s. I also feel that the loads listed for the Demon HAD to be excessive!

Thanks for the numbers.
Reloading by brail is a rather tough way to figure out pressures.
Once upon a time long ago, I messed around with silver soldering 17-4ph machined 30/06 case heads onto the body of a wildcat 6mm case. The case had two shoulders, each with a different powder and paper patch between them, all finished under a slightly compressed load. That was the bee's knees of it's day, and no doubt dangerous as sin.
In the world of reloading times have changed for the better. So many more powders are out there, as well as different designed cases, each much better than those produced 50 years ago.

Back to the reloading bench,
Goss

I have a 7mm-375 and loveit and i have a itch for the 338-375 does anyone have a reamer they would like to sale?

I read this Thread recently and reached a personal conclusion that the loads producing the velocities posted in the 338-375 Ruger Demon surely exceed the maximum pressures that would be condoned for a factory cartridge of similar case capacity in any reloading manual. There is no other explanation.

Velocity is primarily the result of case capacity and pressure, within any specific bore diameter. I don't believe there's anything magical about any particular casing design that accounts for huge differences in MV compared to other cartridges of similar capacity (volume). Case capacity, case pressure, and barrel length explain MV. There are some additional factors that play a lesser role.

No magic sums it up.

No magic sums it up.

Yup

Don't get me wrong... I think the 375 Ruger is an awesome case design and very cool to wildcat off of. I in fact started a thread on that very subject in another shooting forum and have considered doing a wildcat or two off of it myself.

However, it is not the equal, let alone "decimating" the Lapua. No way. I've browsed through this thread a few times over the last few years just shaking my head. The Lapua has at least 15 gr more capacity than the Ruger. No way on God's green earth are you going to get anywhere near the performance of the Lapua.... no way. Anyone who thinks they can, well I got some ocean front property here in Montana that I'ld like to sell you.

As far as efficiency goes, the Lapua is a wide body case, significantly more so than the Ruger, so I don't get the argument that the Ruger has a more efficient design.

Anyway, I am not dumping on the Ruger. I think it's a great case because it is a great case.... it just ain't a Lapua.

OK, so I said I had considered the 375 Ruger for wildcating but I also considered the Dakota cases which are also very well designed cases and in my not so humble opinion slightly better in design than the Ruger. It's (the 300 Dakota) a little shorter and fatter and the same capacity. The brass is more spendy but of high quality. And so I designed my 270 Montana off the 300 Dakota.

One would have to wonder if the Ruger folks took a good long look at the Dakota when they came up with the 375 Ruger.

....some food for thought

Don't get me wrong... I think the 375 Ruger is an awesome case design and very cool to wildcat off of. I in fact started a thread on that very subject in another shooting forum and have considered doing a wildcat or two off of it myself.

Exactly! We kick the idea of something between .284 and .338 on a regular basis. There is a .75 Ruger user in the group as well.

There are some good cartridges in there that stand on their merits, and need not be hyped, or compared to another family of cases, to justify their existence.

Reviving this thread as it seems to have the most info of all the 338/375 ruger threads. I'm planning a build on weatherby vanguard/howa 1500 action that is 300wm now. Going with McGowen howage barrel. I'm sure more of these have been built since the start of this thread. Thinking about the 250-300gr bergers. What powders should I look at for these choices. Going 1:9 twist. Thanks for any feed back.

Reviving this thread as it seems to have the most info of all the 338/375 ruger threads. I'm planning a build on weatherby vanguard/howa 1500 action that is 300wm now. Going with McGowen howage barrel. I'm sure more of these have been built since the start of this thread. Thinking about the 250-300gr bergers. What powders should I look at for these choices. Going 1:9 twist. Thanks for any feed back.

Last time I fired one was over 4 years ago.

H1000 & Retumbo gave reasonable results, VV N570 was a bit faster.

The new RL26 would be definitely worth a look, RL33 was to slow

I have lost my steam for building a 338 Campfire. As great a cart as I think it would be. Really for me it would just be a standard actions 340 Whby.
I recently got a new Kimber Montana in 338 Winchester. Today I ran a throating reamer in it to allow me to load 300 gr Woodleigh's RNSN to 3.340". With its 26" barrel . And tumbling with HBN I think I'll get a full 2500 fps . Without having to keep a sizing die with the guts removed on hand. The older I get, the more moderate I seem to become.
If Ruger came out with a stainless Hawkeye in 338/375 Ruger tho. I'de be on it like lightening !

The marginal quality and consistency of Hornady brass is a handicap for any 375 Ruger based cartridge - for me. This based on my own disappointing experience as well as reading of others bad experiences.

Hornady is the only company selling 375 Ruger brass at this time. Something to consider...

Edit: To correct above post - Hornady is the sole supplier of 375 Ruger cases at this time. The point being, only one supplier, and the quality of their brass is substandard. Inconsistent. Inexplicable inconsistency.

Last edited:

Recent Posts