338-300WIN

A lot about what your talking about with bullet seating depth can be changed by the amount of freebore and throat length. If you choose to get a new barrel you can figure out the needed amount of freebore and throat length per your magazine well length.
My stw has .075 freebore. I use Bergers 180 grainers and they are seat where about .080 to .100 past the shoulder/neck angle. I got lucky because this just happens to be where the bullet also contacts the lands and gives some small amount of movement into the lands as well as seating off them. This isnt optimum conditions but my magazine well length set the oal length of the Berger bullets. If I went an additional .1 to the already .075 thou freebore then my magazine would be to short for optimum bullet seating depth.
Of course you can modify the magazine well length by milling it longer but the rifle shoots well now and I am not to worried about it.
I think Kirby's idea of the 338 stw would suite what your looking for quite well. If your looking for something different then according to what has been said your action is a bit small for some of the larger ultra type cases.
Lens sako trg-s he has for sale would be a supurb candidate for large case capacity rounds such as were listed in previous posts and its 700 bucks which is a steal.
JM2C
Dave

Thanks for the info guys. I am going to make a 300 win on this action and call it a day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif If I do decide I need a 338 some day I will get a REM 700 and build it on that. Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.