338-300WIN

dakor

Has anyone heard of anything like this? I would like a wildcat 338 with 340 Weatherby performance but I do not want a 340 Weatherby. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Would you gain much over a standard 338 with a 300 win necked up to a 338?

Have you given any thought to a 338 rum? I don't believe that there would be a significant gain with the 300 win case necked up over a standard 338 win

I really did not want to go that big because I want to use a Savage 112 action that is a 7mm STW right now and the mag box is kinda short on a savage and you really have to seat the bullets in deep. I know a 300 Win size case fits in there with room to seat the bullet out a little farther. What would happen if you took a 300 win case necked it up to a 338 and blew the shoulder out to 40 degrees? Would this get you 340 weatherby velocity?

I've only shot the .338 WINmag but little. If you where to neck-up the .300WINmag to .338dia., would you not have a .338WINmag?, Blow the shoulder out to 40degs., and you still have a case with less capacity than the .340Wtby.

3sixbits the 300 Win case is bigger than a 338 Win. The 300 Win is based off the 375 H&H case. You can make cases for the 300 win from a 375 H&H you would just have trim them after you neck them down because the 300 is just a little shorter.

[ QUOTE ]
3sixbits the 300 Win case is bigger than a 338 Win. The 300 Win is based off the 375 H&H case. You can make cases for the 300 win from a 375 H&H you would just have trim them after you neck them down because the 300 is just a little shorter.

[/ QUOTE ] Your right, it is 3/10" longer. I guess I was thinking of all the 30/338 I use to make cause I could never find .308 NORMA brass when I needed it. There is a wild cat vary much like what you want its called the .338 OAM and is based on the 8X68mm S case. Even got the 40deg. shoulder and is 2.620" long just like the .300WINmag. After you look it over you have got to wonder why not just use the .338 RUM or even better than that use Kirby's .338 Kahn! The Kahn saves you the cost of having a reamer made up and gets rid of the lousy belt. Yep it looks like the way to go to get what you want.

Here is a web site I have book mardked with the parent cases. The 300 Win, 300 Wby and 340 Wby are from the 300 H& H. The 338 Win is from the 458 Win case and where does the 458 come from?

http://members.shaw.ca/cstein0/riflelist3.htm

you will notice a wildcat 334 OKH from the 300 H&H case which is 0.333 caliber then you go down the page and find that OKH did a 338 which is apparently so obscure that there is no listing for case dimension, but based upon what was done with the 334 it is probably too long for what you want.

There is a 338 A&H which is based upon a 404 Jeffery cut down which is short and fat as best I can tell and looks to have more case capacity than a necked up 300 win and is shorter. I would have to draw it out if it was me to actually understand the dimensions. My understanding of what you are looking for is a short fat fast 338 to fit your magazine.

I don't fool around with wildcats so you are getting really poor advice from me, but the website is interesting.

Thanks for the link and the info. Yes you are right I am looking for a short and fast 338. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I guess if I do not come up with anything I will just make it into a 300 WIN mag.

If you sharpen the shoulder of the 338 A&H another 5 degrees it is the 330 Dakota. These ballistics of the 330 Dakota are pretty well documented and brass and reamers and dies would be available.

[ QUOTE ]
If you sharpen the shoulder of the 338 A&H another 5 degrees it is the 330 Dakota. These ballistics of the 330 Dakota are pretty well documented and brass and reamers and dies would be available.

[/ QUOTE ] The .338 Abe& Harris is longer than the Dakota case at 2.5500" where as the Dakota is 2.540". Not much difference, BuffBob is right the Dakota case would fill the bill right nice for you.

Dakor,

Ever think about the 338 STW? IT is a great round. I have read about this one for guys that wanted 340 Wby performance without the Wby shoulder.

Seems like a logical wildcat for your STW rifle. Woudl feed with no mods needed unlike the fatter Dakotas and RUMS and all the wildcats based off those cases.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

3sixbits,

The 338 Kahn is a great round but I would not chamber it in the Savage receiver.

Also it is based on the big Wby case(378) so it to has a belt. The only thing is that the brass is made by Norma so it does not have the belt variations that US belted Magnum brass has. IT is very top end brass but it is to big of a round for the Savage in both length and wideth.

IT is a hell of a round though!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I have thought about taking a 375 H&H case necking it down to a 338 and blowing the shoulder out to 40 degrees. That is a good idea also Kirby that would save me from fire forming brass. The only trouble I am really having with this savage is the mag box is short and with long bullets you have to seat them really far in the case. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I do not know if 338 bullets are as long as 7mm bullets I have never owned a 338. I also am going to start a new post before I make up my mind on what I am going to build then I will go from there.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts