.338/300 Ultra Case Forming

mkf350

I'm about to purchase some brass, I want to know if it would be better to go with .300 RUM brass and size up the necks or get .375 RUM brass and reduce the necks? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I believe both cases are same L.O.A. Just don't know which the pros/cons of each..

You can go either way if you want a tight neck in a factory spec chamber cut use the 375 and turn the necks. If you want simplicity use the 300 and simply run it in a die. I understand Federal has brass available for the handloader now, although I don't know where to get it.

Well this is going to in a Pac-Nor super match chamber. You were right about the Federal Brass but only in .300RUM. I was thinking of getting some of the Federal because I'm hearing the Rem isn't that good. But I don't know if by sizing up I would be creating thinner necks. But if I went with .375RUM I could neck turn them down.

I have used H1000 with the most consistant success. RL25 and Retumbo work well I understand.

300 GR SMK
OAL 3.775"
.020" OFF LANDS
CCI LR MAG PRIMERS
REM BRASS
H-1000 start @ 90.0 gr my final load will run somewhere between 92.0 to 96.0 gr. depending on chamber throat length etc.

This should put you in the 2900 + fps range.

I have built 14 of them and they will shoot 2900-3000 depending on each rifle all with 30" tubes. Good luck and hope you enjoy it.

Re: Annealing

Thanks B1g_bOre for that link on annealing. I wish I would have had that for another thread on the same subject. I purchased the Hornaday kit serval years ok and It has been great. Again thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts