• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED 338-300 RUM Long Range Rifle and NF Scope

INTJ1

M-70 Classic in 338-300 RUM

- Trued M-70 Classic CRF action
- Kevin Wyatt extended magazine box ( 3.825" inside length)
- Benchmark HV Contour, 30," 9.35 twist, 5R barrel
- Tight neck—requires turning
- Custom prone muzzle brake by Curt Mendenhall
- McMillan Prone Stock
- Nightforce NXS Zero Stop 8-32x56 NP-R1 Reticle
- 20 MOA Scope base
- Low round count
- Weighs approx 18 lbs with the mounted scope

$3500 shipped via USPS to a valid FFL. Scope $1850 shipped, Rifle with base, $1750 shipped. I may consider a partial trade on the rifle and scope combination for a M-70 Classic in 300 RUM. I'm not really interested in any other trades.

I haven't had the time to sort this rig out and my interests are taking me elsewhere. Initial load testing has shown promise of 1/2 MOA at 550 yds with 300 grain SMKs at around 2800 fps. "Promise" means after I figured out how to use the bipod from prone, I put two shots around 2.5" apart at 550 yds. Best 100 yd groups are in one hole. I would expect final load to be somewhere between 2700 and 2800 fps. Extraction will become a little sticky with H1000 and velocities over 2800 fps with fired brass. New brass works fine at up to 2850 fps, leading me to believe my sizing die needs to be a little smaller or the chamber should be opened up a little—perhaps to 338 Edge. However, I make no guarantees as to how well anyone else will load for and shoot it. Getting good loads and high accuracy requires skill and practice.

The rifle will easily feed two from the magazine. Kevin Wyatt himself helped me with the ejector and feeding work. Curt Mendenhall, a local smith and 1000 yd BR shooter, did most of the machine work. I did the bedding work—not pretty but stable and stress free. I also opened up the rear of the ejection port a bit. The stock looks okay, but a paint job would really dress it up. This rig is like most of my projects—looks okay, shoots great. Bipod not included.

100_3759.jpg

Lower Price: 338-300 RUM Long Range Rifle and NF Scope

Lower price: $3300 for the complete package, $1775 for the scope and $1675 for the rifle.

Rifle was built in 2011 and has 114 total rounds. Chamber has a .365" neck.

Here is the first load I developed. The top group had bullets seated .050" off the lands, the second and fourth groups were seated .040" off the lands, the third group was at .030" off the lands. The .040"load shot 300 grain SMKs into .35" at 100 yds, twice.

The second pic is my first ever efforts off a bipod from prone, and it felt very uncomfortable and awkward. Distance was a lasered 550 yds and it is the load above. The first two shots are covered by the orange circles and measure 3.625" I made a scope adjustment, settled in a little better, and then shot the bottom two shots. They measure 2.25." Scope had .975 MOA for the first group and 9.0 MOA for the second. Looks like 9.25 MOA would have been about right.

The next year I reduced the load by two grains and shot a .300" three-shot group and then a .225" shot group at 100 yds. MV was 2815 fps on the second group, ES was 13 fps--but only two shots registered on the chrono. Seating depth was .025" from the lands for the first group and .030" on the second. I have not tested this load at longer ranges, but I fully expect I can consistently get three into 1/2 moa at extended ranges.

I am giving all this information--the good and the bad--so the buyer knows exactly what they are getting. In this case an average looking rifle that is 2/3 sorted out. The load does need final tweaking. A tighter sizing die or a simple rechamber to 338 Edge might allow another 50-75 fps. I haven't shot the second load with once fired brass, so I don't know if it will have that annoying mild stickiness on extraction. If it does, I would rechamber or get a custom die made. Redding RUM dies are a little on the large size for a custom chamber on the tight side.

Rifle SPF, scope still available. Sorry to bring the whole thread up, but I no longer see a way to edit the original post.

Recent Posts