.325wsm

outdooraddict

Ok I just had another log thrown on the fire I am going elk hunting next fall and Im looking for a rifle. I want something that will shoot good out of the box I probably wont shoot over 600 yds. I have been inquireing about the weatherby .300wby vanguard sub-moa and the 300rum ina sandero. But then I found the .325 in a savage that I understand are very good out of the box. I will probobly only use this for elk 3 or four times mostly for whitetail and muelys.

Great elk rifle and great choice. Shaves some weight with that short action which is good in most elk country. Not a long ranger though, no good heavy bullet choices and not really enough velocity with the heavy stuff. An occasional elk hunt though shooting at average distances is a great choice. Great deer gun also. I shot some caribou with the 180 ballistic tips and was very happy with them. I'm thinking they would be a very good choice with the smaller case capacity. I know they do very well in the 8mm rem mag.

Have one in a M70 and it is one of my favorite rifles. Was very easy to get to shoot and my go to load is the 220gr Sierra over a max load of H4350. I've shot several deer with it and it does surprisingly little meat damage. Used it on a large bodied bull elk this year and on a hard 1/4'ing away shot at 200yds it broke 4 ribs on the near side, through the vitals and lodged up in the neck. Recoil is relatively mild and I don't find it a problem even in my light rifle.

Being an 8mm (.323) bullet selection is very limited for the
reloader but it is a very good elk caliber.

But for an all around deer and elk rifle I would go with the
300 RUM so you can use 150gr up to 250gr bullets.

Just my 2 cents
J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.