325 wsm

RUSLIN

New to LRP. Took my first Elk this year. Thinking about a Browning A Bolt in 325 WSM.
Any thoughts?

I have an A-bolt 325. If I could have a redo, I'd get 300win. Why? Availability of ammo. The 325 over the counter ammo is limited to 3 rounds 180, 200, and 220 grain, Winchester only. Unless you reload, you won't be shooting much unless you are independently wealthy. At $60/20 rounds the 325 can get right expensive.
If I did not reload, the 325 would just be taking up space in the gun safe!

Although I don't own one YET, I'm a fan of the .325. I think the .340 Weatherby is the best elk round ever, and that ammunition is even more expensive than the .325 wsm, but the .325 isn't far behind the .340 in performance. The good news is that this isn't varmint hunting where you go through lots of ammunition. I box of ammunition will last the average elk hunter 3-4 years (or more) once they know the gun and have their drop table.

If you keep your eyes open you'll likely find a used version of what you want fairly cheap. A lot of people bought the .325 without knowing it had recoil. I've seen many of these for sale after less than 10 shots were fired.

Yes, it's easier to get ammunition for a .300 win mag or .300 Weatherby than it is for a .325 wsm and the former cartridges are available in many more variations. If I didn't reload I might not consider the .325 and since I already have a .300 Weatherby I may never buy the .325 wsm, but I'm keeping my eyes open!

Last edited:
Bauno: True, recoil can be an issue in the 325. However, mine has the BOSS system and I think my 270 raps more then the 325. Having not fired my 325 w/o the BOSS I don't really know how bad it kicks.
With the BOSS its right tolorable. Dialing it in burned some ammo for me.
I still like it, guess thats why I still have it.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.