325 Wsm

I know they should have made a .338WSM instead of the .325!

I read in RifleShooter a while back (maybe two years) that they tried this and couldn't make it work for some reason. I think Craig Boddington wrote the article. I looked on the site and couldn't find the article.

Hicks

.325 Wsm

Here is a link to one article .325 WSM

And their reason:
"We decided not to pursue that," a Winchester engineer told me last summer. "Boosting diameter to .338 left us short of matching the ballistic performance of the .338 Winchester." The company opted instead for an 8mm (.323) bullet. A 200-grain bullet from the .325 WSM has higher sectional density than a 200-grain .338 bullet, but there's plenty of bullet base for a high-speed launch at reasonable pressure.

Eh, I think they missed the boat on that one. The .338 Federal is doing just fine and it doesn't match the .338 winmag's ballistics. The difference is if they went to the .338 the cartridge would have four times the bullet selection as with the 8mm. I'm thinkin' one day I might have to wildcat that sucker out to .338 and see what she'll do. :)

I have shot the .325 since before it was introduced, had a custom rifle built by GA Precision (M70 CRF, Mike Rock barrel, McMillan HTG, NXS 3.5-15x50) on it so I could shoot it before the factory rifles hit the shelves. One missconception is that there are not many bullets available for the 8mm caliber. I have 16 different bullets here and know of several more. My favorite is the 200 Accubond, Winchester's factory loading usually shoots very well in my rifles. I load 4831 SC and 200 Matchkings for long range killing, works extremely well. The cartridge is accurate and an effective killer in my experience. My longest shot is 530 yards on a mule deer buck.

Thanks guys. Any load info at all ? He is looking at setting up for Elk and Mule deer I think.

He is newer to hand loading, but I plan to help him along. I am just not familiar with this round.

thanks

I will be using my 325WSM for a second season this year. With a 220gr Sierra loaded over a max chage of H4350 it will shoot into 3/4 MOA all day and tighten up down to 1/2 MOA sometimes. Currently I am shooting a plain jane M70 in a cheap stock. I have a matching 270WSM that I am thinking of turning into a donor action to make a heavy precision rig.

I've only tried 3 bullets so far and the 150gr Hornady's shoot sub MOA and made a good break in / plinking round. I couldn't get the 200gr Speer's to shoot worth a **** though. They averaged around 3-4" at 100.

Heading out tomorrow for a week of chasing Elk and Moose and will hopefully have a report on how they perform on large game. I shot a couple WT's with the 220gr Sierra last season. Shots were at 30yds and 180yds and there was very little meat damage.

Well I managed to tag out on a 4X3 elk. Shot it at just under 200 yards 1/4'ng away hard with the near leg slightly back. I think I may have clipped a branch on the way in as it looks like the bullet was tumbling on impact. Bullet entered mid way back in the rib cage, smashed through 4 ribs. Then it looks like it seperated with the front portion (majority) of the core plowing through the lungs and up into the neck. A small portion of the rear core and the the jacket which was flatened like a stepped on banana continued along the rib line and hit the shoulder blade than deflected up under the near side hide. Not ideal, but still one dead elk.

325 Wsm.

I used one of my 325'S this year on a cow buffalo. I drew a permit here in Wyo. and hunted on the Natl. Forest off the east side of Grand teton Park and on the elk refuge. The Wyo. G&F, Park Service and National Elk Refuge completed their EIS on the Buffalo herd in the Park and Refuge last spring. They need to remove app. 900 Buffalo from the park area over the next 5 years and get the toal population down to around 500 instead of the current +1400. A result was allowing a limited# of Buffalo hunters to hunt into the elk refuge starting September 15th. for both cows and bulls.
I used a 200 grain Barnes TSX in front of 67.2 grains win 760. My chrono in front of the model 70 26" bbl says 3,012'/s. At about 50 yards 6" behind the horn she did not know the lites went out. She dropped straight down and the work began.
I have taken a muley buck and an antelope with the 325 also. The deer with a 200 Accubnd and the goat with a 180 Brnes TSX.
I have tried 4831 & 4831sc, 4350, H-4350, Winchester's WLR and 760. The granular powders take up too much room and by the time you get a load there is way more compression of the charge than i like. this short case and all of the 180 and 200 grain bullets have to be seated fairly deep for the magazine length and short throats that are in the chambers. My rifles only have about .110" over the max. cartridge length in the throat before the bullets are in the lands. I could have the throat llengthened in the single shot and it would help ease some of the loading problems with the short ammo.
The powder that will get you closest to Winchester factory ballistics is 760. I think the actual factory rounds are loaded with a factory blend as Hornady uses in their "magnum Loads" that are not available to anyone else. The factory 180 grains will chron @ 3,195'/s out of my M-70. I see more pressure signs with them than I like. Flattened Primers, A ridge from the edge going into the firing pin hole and a tighter bolt handle lift. Winchester loads them to Maximum pressures. My 180 grain loads run app. 3,160'/s and work well.
The 180 & 200 Barnes TSX's, Nosler 200 Acubnd and the Hornady 195 will all shoot under 1/2" at 100 yards from both rifles. The second rifle is an 1885 Hi-Wall single shot with 28" Bbl.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.