j hamm

what would be the best grain bullet for a 308.going to be using it to hunt deer.has a 1-10 twist

I like the 165-168gr in my 308 1-10 twist. I have been using nosler 168grBT for hunting deer. for everything else I use noslers 168gr J4's.

on sunday I shot a 100yd 5 shot group off a bipod that measured .450 and 4 of them were in .2's

I used 44gr of Ramshot Tac, under the 168gr J4's in Lapua brass with Fed.210 GoldMM.
this was neck sized and then run through my progressive press.
FWIW
308nate
smile.gif

308 nate, what kind of gun are you shooting? I'm looking at buying a new varmint style gun for all around use. Varmints, targets, and deer. I was looking at the new remington 700vsf and the tikka t3 varmint stainless. I was favoring the remington but it apears that there reputation is going down hill. I am leaning towards a 308 if I get the 700 thats the caliber I know I'll get because its only offered in two others. 223 and 22-250. The tikka is offered in a variety of calibers. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

In God I Trust!

HI targetbuster,
My .308 is a Remingtom 700SA blueprinted. the bolt is sleeved,tactical bolt handle,holland over sized,excellerated firing pin.The barrel is a stainless unknown maker that I bought off of Ebay.That somebody started to cut a chamber in.It is now chambered in a .308 Palma match.It has a holland style muzzle break and it sits in a McMillan ANSCHUTZ molded in 50% OD green,25% grey & 25% black. Action and barrel are teflon coated 80% od green & 20% black and a Leupold 6-1/2-20 x40 mil dot sits on top.
I've never owned a Tikka but have several friends that own them and I don't think you could go wrong there.I have a hunch there will be more after market parts for the Tikka in the future.And you would do alright with a Remington too.I have 2 Rem. but they are pretty far from stock.But I guess I'm going to have to suggest you check out some Savage's as all of my personl future custom jobs will be using Savage actions.I guess it comes down to personal preference and they've all had their lemons.
take it for what it's worth.

p.s .308 is an awesome caliber.But I would suggest checking out .260 REM.
.308nate

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.