.308 with 208g A-Max results

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by sniperjwt, Jun 19, 2010.

1. sniperjwt

sniperjwt Well-Known Member

Well after about a month of trying to find a load that would doo all that I wanted I think I finally found one. Being that this was my first 308 I read up on it a little and found out that most people are useing the 168 grainers. Then I came across one article that said I could get 2600fps with a 208 grain a-max. Well the serch was on. I tried many loads useing the cci 200 primers but could not get a real good group that was over 2600 fps. So on a digestion from my brother I switched to the Federal 215 primers. Low and behold the speeds went up and I found one that I think is a keeper.
    Here is a pic of a 3 shot group at 550 yards. Two shots are in the hole to the right and the other on the left about 3 inches. Disreguard the 4 shots below and one above. The were with a different gun

[​IMG]

2. long450

long450 Well-Known Member

I have a couple of questions.

1> What is your barrel twist?

2> How is the recoil?

3. sniperjwt

Barrel twist is 1-10
    The recoil....well is not 308ish. Its got some punch to it and my gun weighs about 12 pounds. But what do you expect when you are shooting a 208grain bullet at 2600fps right.

4. topbrass

topbrass Well-Known Member

What powder and load were you using?

5. long450

long450 Well-Known Member

I would expect recoil to be manish. A brake would be in order here!

6. groper

groper Well-Known Member

post all this, but give us no details of the load? comon....

7. sniperjwt

All i did was put out the bait to see if anyone would bite.:D No use in explaining it all if nobody cares right.

Alright the load is 49.5 grains of Reloader 17 in a Winchester case ignited by a Federal 215 primer. This is a compressed load. I have it loaded just off the lands in my rifle. Its being shot out of a Remington 700 VLS. Optics is Osprey 10x40-50. Its a cheep scope but have not bought a better one for the money.
    If i missed anything then please ask

8. groper

groper Well-Known Member

holy crap, are you sure that powder weight is correct? thats a bloody stiff load as far as i can tell without consulting my data.... i doubt i could even fit that much powder in my case and still seat a 208gr bullet....??? are you sure?

9. sniperjwt

I am positive of it. This is the right numbers. This is right on the verge of showing pressure signs. This is good in MY gun

10. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

What is your exact velocity. You say 2600, but what is ES, SD and Avg.? What is your barrel length? I believe you, and think it to be a cool idea. Just want some numbers to muddle up my head some more!:D

Tank

11. topbrass

topbrass Well-Known Member

That load looks more in line with a 30-06 than a .308.

I dont remember, and I am at work, but I think that is one of my loads for 150 gr in .308.

Dang! And I was getting excited when I saw RL-15, I have tons(pound) of that powder for my .223.

Thanks!