308 Winchester barrel length

dog caller

In a case the size of a 308 win, using a powder like Varget, is there any benefit to going with a long barrel length (26-30) as opposed to a 22 or 24 inch tube? In theory, you should have the powder burned completely in the first 20 or so inches. I am not looking for speed, 2700 to 2800 fps with a 168 grainer is plenty for what I am wanting. I am, however, looking for compactness (is that even a word) and manouverability. Any wisdom out there?

How far do you want to shoot? I have built .308's with 24" rock barrels that shoot 2780 - 2810 with 175gr smk's. You can always start at 24" which is a nice length and cut it down until you get your desired speed and you will have your optimal length. I have been seeing 75-100fps faster bullets with a rock barrel. More than likely he has them in stock too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I use 44.5gr varget, lapua brass and fed primers. see the rock customer service thread for group pictures. all barrels are his 11.?? twist.

glen

Very impressive groups, heatsinkins. The guys that I shoot with all have 22 inch tubes on their rifles, one in 308 Win and one in a 260 Rem. Both of them are Terry Cross rifles with Kreiger barrels. Another guy in the group is shooting a custom out of Albuquerque, NM with a Mike Rock barrel. I can hang with these guys with my factory stuff out to about 400 yards then I become limited by my equipment. One of the Savages I bought from BJ is undergoing a transformation into something that I hope will level the playing field a little. I am a little limited on funds so I have elected to go with a Douglas XX from Sharpshooters to start out with. I have ordered the barrel already in a 22 inch length but have been doubting myself since I placed the order. I am trying to convince myself that it was the right call based on their recomendations but.............. I don't doubt the accuracy of the 22" at all but I can't help but thinking a 24 would have been more sound of a choice. Barrel, lug, tactical bolt handle, Farrel base and follower are due in this week. The trigger (Rifle Basix), action and stock (Choate tactical) are already in house. Maybe by this time next week I will have erased all doubts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thanks for the response!

dc

BTW, The rifle will be used to bang gongs and punch paper on a UDR out to 1000. I am undecided on glass but will start it off with a Nikon tactical that I already own.

I would think you would find that a 26" or so would give the mavimum velocity. And target shooters do different things for different reasons. They probablr do it to stiffen the barrel by shortening and then use load development to find a load that has the lowest ES or SD and that gives them the most repeatable accuracy. Where as you might have some wierdo like me whoe would prefer a longer barrel of 26 or even 28" to get maximum velocity and get the muzzle blast as far away from my ears as possible.If a 22-250 can utilize a 26" barrel I see no reason a 308 would not do the same. But many target shooter use 26-30" barrels. I have even been considering a bloop tube or backboring the barrel to allow a contained area to help dampen and reduve the muzzle blast even farther.

I have been wondering about this also. I have not bought my 308 yet, but I am doing my research now. If I were shooting targets only, I would buy a 26" & be done with it, but I will also hunt with it at moderate ranges. I am thinking that because we are dealing with a small case relative to the bore size, we would not lose much velocity, but I would
like to be sure. Hopefully some who use the Light Tact. 20"
Rem. or the 20" Tact. Savage could offer their input. I like those rifles alot or 22".

I have the 20" savage, it shoots the same speed as my old hart 24" straight barrel did. It will stay supersonic out at 1000 and is very accurate. The only difference would be that the hart rifle doesn't show pressure signs with my favorite load and the savage does. 44.6g varget behind a 175g MK in a Fed GMM case and CCI BR2 primer. My choice for a do it all rifle would be a 24" #7 taper obermeyer in a Rem action with a mcmillan A3 stock.

[ QUOTE ]
I am thinking that because we are dealing with a small case relative to the bore size, we would not lose much velocity, but I would like to be sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is my thoughts exactly! According to my friends (who are all three law enforcment snipers, one of them a tactical shooting instructer) the 308 does not benefit from a longer tube <u>near</u> as much as the "over bore" calibers do. I will not use this rifle to hunt with, other than an occasional p-dog or long range coyote. I'm saving for a Kirby Allen special to use as a LR hunter. I am just using the opportunity to shoot with these guys to gain experience in wind doping, bullet flight, etc...... These guys are able to do things with their rifles at 1000 yards that I would have considered mythical before joing this forum! Now I am able to see and do part of what I am reading about here.

Meister, thank you. That is the kind of confident thought I was looking for. Someone to confirm that my choice of bbl length isn't totally nuts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif It's not tlike I could change it now since I already ordered the barrel but like I said before, this is just a starter set-up. I didn't spend too much on the Douglas. I could always sell it and order something longer if I had to.

dc

Douglas makes a great stick, but there is no guarantee that it will be tight enough to enable a 20" to hold 2800 fps safely. No telling unless you know the dimensions of the bore- that will be the "tell". I can only speak of the barrels I have personally shot, so it is possible.

I've shot Varget powered 155-gr. bullets from a 32-inch .308 Win. barrel that left at 3150 fps with a normal maximum load. If the barrel was 40 inches long those bullets would probably have gone a lot faster.

Barrel length or contour doesn't seem to have any effect on accuracy, just muzzle velocity. Shorter ones are easier to handle and longer ones shoot faster. One advantage of having a longer barrel is when it's worn out, set it back three inches and start over with a virtual new, but shorter, barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.