308 winchester 155vlds or 168vlds

predator1

im new here to the site but find it very good source of info. just bought savage 10fp 24 inch barrel vx2 6x18 put stockade varmit tacticle on . now ready 2 decide which bullet . berger 155 or 168. gun will be used targets to 800 yards and coyote whitetail antelope mulies to 600. which bullet ? actual exps with bulletfrom others would be great.

I would suggest you try both. If it were me, I would use the 155. These can be driven considerably faster than the 168 and despite the published BCs you will find them closer than you think (in the real world) + the velocity advantage. If you really want to go bigger than the 155 concider the 175 over the 168. This can be driven at near 168 speeds but hosts a MUCH better BC than either.

Hope that helps!

A second on vlds targets and hunting bullets on game.
The Speer 180 btsp has a BC of 540......

Huntinco, Nomad, 1500 postings ago I used to feel strongly the same way. Not anymore.

I have also used them Accubonds and do like them, but those Berger's and SMK's, at long ranges are hard to beat. :)

Not to sound conceded, but because I'm an outfitter for a living, I'm sure I get to see more big game animals taken per year than almost anyone. That is where my view about VLDs and Sierra Matchkings come from. I love both of these bullets and both usually shoot better then any hunting bullet. Yes they're capable of killing big game, but they are my least favorite, and would not suggest for anyone to use them on big game.

My Savage shoots the 168s much better than the 155s. The 175s shot good but there was too big of a velocity tradeoff with them.

I have had great luck with the Berger 168s and RE-15. They work out to the practical limit of the cartridge and still perform perfectly at close range. I could not be any happier with them.

My pet load is:
168gr VLD
42.5gr RE-15
CCI BR-2
Lapua case

Half minute or less from a bipod all day long out to 5 or 600

im not new to hunting or shooting, i have 20 plus years.i have hunted from newfoundland to alaska . i have been fortunate enough to take more than 15 big hunts . some outfitted some not. for those hunts i have used one rifle rem 700 26'' barrel in 7mm rem mag. the only load the gun has ever shot was 160 nosler partition.it has worked wonderfully taking from moose to caribou elk black bear and loads of deer. i have passed that rifle to my son now and after finding this site i have great interest in shooting steel over 500 to 800 yards, and maybe a few coyotes antelope and whitetail or mule deer.my longest shot to date is just tad under 400 yards. most been under 250 yards. but im very intrieged with this site. most likely shots at game be under 300 yards. but plan on shooting lots of steel thats why i chose the 308. thanks for all info and advise.

The 155 VLD's blow base ball size exit holes in deer. I shot a doe with my 30X47 HBR at 112 yards with a 155 VLD at 2750 fps to try the bullet out this year and this is the resulting exit hole. The best deer killing 308 bullet I have ever used is a 125 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. I have not shot anything over 300 yards with it though. But out of 15 or so deer shot with it none have even taken a step. I have used it in my 308 and 30X47 HBR. I have also heard good things about 155 A-Max bullets but have not tried them myslef.

I shot a doe last Saturday with the 168vld in a 300WM. I wanted to see if they could hold up to a close shot and got one at 50 yards with a max load of H1000. Put it through the shoulder and I can say that it was the most damage I haver ever seen on a deer. I look forward to trying a longer shot this weekend.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts