.308 win? Should I?

ackleyguy

I have always used some pretty big stuff for long range(.300 ultra, .300 weath, & a 7rem mag) however i am thinking about buying my buddys .308 this thing shots really well( at least out to 300 yards thats as far as time has allowed me to shoot) The rifle shoots a 155 A max @ 3000 F/sec out of LC match brass very well. Assuming the rifle groups well at 700 or 800 yards would you feel confident on using it on whitetails and mule deer at that range? Thanks for your input

If you practice and can make consistant hits at those ranges then your good to go. Never can have too many guns anyways and .308 is a great one. What part of southwest PA are you from?

I believe the .308 Win. is a good killer out to 650 yards. It will indeed kill out past 800 but the knockdown effect is usually not there judging from the several deer we have killed between 700 and 830 yards. Bullets go through and the lungs fill up and the critter dies. We shoot a lot of deer in the 500 -650 yard range and they usually get hit hard enough that they react to the impact and either drop or run a short burst.
The .308 is the way to go to practice and maintain your field marksmanship skills.

I'm thinking the same way. For the first time, I will be throttling down, power wise on my hunting rifle. I always carried either my 338 or my 300 Win Mag hunting. So this year, I'll be totting my 308 loaded with either Barnes 168 grain TSX or the 165 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. My buddy had been killing deer at the 600+ yard range with his lowly Ruger 77 ultra-light rifle loaded with 168 grain TSX. I think we can streach this round to 800 yards. What do..ya think?.

Thanks for the input guys.....I bought the gun this morning. remington action in a mcmillan A5 stock with a Rock 5r barrel that he had contured to duplicate a 40 xb taper finished @ 27.25" Jax338 I live in charleroi...about 30 miles south of pittsburgh.

Sounds familiar. After 3 years behind my 300 RUM, I too decided to get a tactical .308 to get in some serious trigger time. Don't get me wrong, I love my 300 RUM, but at 1000 +/- rounds per barrel for the RUM, and 5000 + rounds with my .308, I think I will get much, much more benefit and use out of the shooting the 308. And yes, I plan on burning out the .308 barrel, or 2.

am currently building a 308 win, whic

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.