308 vs 30-06 and other rounds? WHY is a 308 better?!?

Miller Outdoor "I think .308 is better than .30-06 because it has a history of being a more accurate round. Also because it has noticeably less felt recoil with virtually no noticeable loss in performance. Plus, they're generally a fraction lighter to lug around."

I would like to know how you get noticeably less recoil shooting the same weight bullet out of a lighter gun with no noticeable difference in performance. I would think that taking a given weight projectile to the same velocity, a lighter gun will transfer MORE recoil to your shoulder, not less. If you are feeling less recoil with the 308 I would say that it is a difference in the rifles stocks, not the cartridge. The small amount of difference that powder volume contributes to recoil would hardly be noticeable.

I would like to know how you get noticeably less recoil shooting the same weight bullet out of a lighter gun with no noticeable difference in performance.
You're asking a question based on a false premise. I didn't say that, or at least didn't mean that. The .308 gives you the luxury of experiencing less recoil than the '06 in the same weight gun - thus, you can carry a lighter gun.

I say with confidence via. personal experience that the .308 kicks noticeably less than the .30-06 all things being equal.

There's a table here showing same: Rifle Recoil Table

Guys, most everyone who's posted here has an opinion they feel is correct, and thus proving the other ''wrong''. Theres been some science, some opinion's, some math etc.
I may be on the outside lookin in here, but why not compare the 308 to the 300wsm. Theyre both .308 cal, and short action.........
But that wouldnt be a fair comparison..........why? It just seems to me that the 308 and 30-06, while similar, are not compareable. If they are, then put the 300wsm in the mix, and the 300saum etc. They all have thier place for a given task for a given shooter's opinion. The 308 is a solid performer, as is the 30-06. Stats like in baseball cause heated arguements/debates. What does it solve?
Im just as guilty in entering into a pointless debate on wich brand of firearm is best. Ill no longer enter in those debates, because its strictly a matter of opinion based on personal preferance and personal experience that differes from shooter to shooter. Choose what you will and become proficient with it. Theres diehard folks on each side of the debate, and most have valid points, but your not gonna change a persons mind in his favorite anymore than he's gonna change yours.

Ill bow out now, and just read. Hopefully the dust will settle and you can shake hands after the fight respecting the other person as a fellow shooter.

I hear the sounding thuds of a dead horse being beaten!!!!:D Personally I like the 308, and despise the recoil of an 06, but to each his own!

Tank

guys this guestion has bothered me for a LONG time.

How come people say they'de take a 308 over a 30-06 or 7mm or some of the other more common hunting rounds? I havent read anything that makes the 308 a better caliber than a 30-06... at least I havent found anything that makes it a superior round to a 30-06? It obviously a little more effecient to be pushing similair velocities i guess.

I just can't see how it gets put up there as one of the best calibers out there. You can go to any forum and ask somebody to recommend a caliber MOST likely the 308 will be mentioned at least once in the first 5 replies?

I'm not trying to knock it but I just don't see where its soo great?​

Well You wanted opinions and I think you got them.

Everyone has expressed there preference and gave you the correct answer as they see it.

"BUT" there is only one answer that is correct. "THERE IS NO CORRECT ANSWER"

There are to many variables to come up with one best cartrige. If there were we would
all own the same rifle and use it for every thing.

Good Debate though

J E CUSTOM

I think the correct answer is get what you feel comfortable with and like...+1 w/tackb.

Have you ever used the .308 Win round in intensified competition?? I have! And I've used both calibers in over 50 years of NRA HP competitive shooting! This includes across the course shooting and long range Palma shooting! The .308 Win wins hands down! I have personally coached Nancy Tompkins at the NRA Whittington Center in Raton, New Mexico on one occasion over a 3 day period of time when Nancy fired at least 80 shots from 1000 yards and the extreme deviation (vertical spread) was no more than 1/2 the diameter of the X ring....which is 10" diameter on the NRA LR bull! I have shot many LR bolt rifles built on the '06 case and I can tell you personally that the .308 Winchester cartridge let me shoot many clean scores; moreso than I ever fired using the '06 round! And as for a hunting round.....I've always said that if more people shot .308s instead of the 'manglehams'.....they'd be a helluva lot more meat put on the table!!

I started the first 18 years of my life shooting & hunting with a 30-06 and loved wvery min of it. I did not think i needed any other round to preform to my expectations and still dont. After my exp. in the military i learned alot about balistics and accuracy and guess what. I still love the 30-06. That being said i now shoot a .308 win. The reason is pure chance. when i first got into rifle building i needes the best quality for the cheapest price. That just happend to be a CZ 550 reciver and it just so happend to be in .308. I didnt look for s specific round (besides something in .30cal) because I wasn't into handloading yet. I have heard and experienced that both rounds are part of the backbone of 1000yd shooting world. The argument between better or worse is redundent. The goal is to pick on and learn how to shoot it to the maximum affect. Then if yopu want to try the other go for it. I have known to many individuals over the years who own 50 different guns, handload for all, and boast that a specific one is better for differnt cercumstances. 9 times out of 10 i can outshoot them in and situation because i have learned to shoot my rifle to it's fullest. Think of it like being a pool shark. The guy comes in with an old beat up stick and destroys you with your brand new one. Guys who like to debate the marits of differnt loads insted of learning how to shoot properly fund most of my handlosd cost. No i don't belive any one round is inherently better than the other especialy in this case. Just pick on and learn it to its fullest extent.

"Beware the man who hath one gun, for he is most accurate in any guise"

The link below is an article about the 308. It may shed a little light on the 308 for you.

Making A Case For The 308 Winchester

If you dont grasp why the 308 is such a popular round it is probably because you have not owned one or at least a good one.

The short answer is that it makes hitting very small targets consistently and long range easy. Its accuracy potential is outstanding as is its consistency (I attribute this to less barrel/throat wear and subsequent consistent performance). The only real draw back is that at really long range in high winds, it has no where near as windage resistant as other calibers. So it is either a more cumbersome caliber or more practice in the wind or both. The point of the 308 (IMHO) is that the barrels last a long long time. This equates to LOTS of trigger time before the barrel cooks. This affords you to become married with your weapon. When you are married with your weapon, good things happen. As far as energy and terminal performance you just have to select the right bullet for the job. There are more good bullets to choose from now then ever.

After you have owned large 7 mags and large 300 mags, and a modest 308 you will "understand".

Hope that helps!
got that! Got a .06 then a 7mm rem mag it started me in reloaning after feeding that case sold the 7mm for a .308 what a round love it dont realy know why but its shoots & drops deer ASOME

The 308 is not better than the 30/06

30/06 more popular
shoots heavy bullets faster
feeds easier in a bolt action
available in more rifles
match brass is available in a 30/06
any bullet you can shoot in a 308 can be shot in a 30/06
more powders are accurate in a 30/06 than the 308

now the 308 is a tad more accurate in most cases.

This has been a very interesting discussion. I own a Winchestem M 70 in 30-06 and a Sako AII in .308 Winchester. I have shot and killed a few animals with both and they were all equally dead when whacked.

I occasionally use the .308 Sako in metallic silhoueete competition, using Sierra 168 gr. MKs for the 500 M rams. The most accurate load I was able to develop in this rifle, with this bullet produces 2620 fps from the rifle's 23" barrel.

The most accurate loads for the 30-06 with Sierra 168 gr. and 175 gr. MKs develop velocities of 2780-2850 fps. In a hypothetical situation where long range work would be required, the 30-06 would be my choice, since the The 30-06 has the edge in long distance shooting due to greater case capacity available to generate higher velocities.

For most hunting or medium range target shooting, there is little, if any difference or advantage in using one or the other. Both will perform if the shooter does his part.

I to own both a savage model 10 with 22" barrel and 3x9 bushnell and a win mod 70 in .30-06. both work great. oldest daughter loves the .308 but can shoot 06 if neede with good accuracy. I use 06 for elk season or deer if one shows up and the lighter .308 for the remaining weeks for deer. so I agree both are good. happy shooting

The picture below illustrates why I love the 308 so much. I was out today in northern Arizona shooting some distance in not too bad a wind. Between 18-34" worth of it and still am able to lay down stellar groups. IMHO, the 308 is just plain user friendly. It doesnt beat you up, barrels have good life, its cheap to operate, fits in a short action etc....That said, the 30-06 is a fine round but when you can legititmately get 2750+'/sec with 175-180 class bullets with regular, repeatable and consistent .3-.4 MOA it just really makes for a sweet combo. The group below measures right at 4.375" center to center. It is very common to see .5 to even sub .5 MOA at 1K in a hunting set up.

You will see many more 308's at matches than you EVER will the 30-06. Let the dead horse be beaten!!!

Regards!

Attachments

• DSCN0445.JPG
    DSCN0445.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 101
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.