.308 V-MAX vs. TNT?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by bowhunthard, Jan 26, 2009.

1. bowhunthard

bowhunthard Well-Known Member

Has anyone used the .308" 110gr Hornady V-MAX and/or the 125gr Speer TNT? I'm looking for a light bullet to push out of my .308 Win for varmints. Besides the velocity, I'm looking for accuracy also. Is one inherently more accurate than another? I've worked with both V-MAXes and TNTs before, and am impressed by both, just not sure what to go with for the 308.

Thanks.

2. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

I have shot the V-Max 110's. It was over 47.5grns RL-15 w/ CCI 200 primer. I was cutting a .233" group at 100yrds. It was out of a 1:10 factory Savage Mod. 12 Low Pro. I gutted a Fox squirrel at 202yrds. Longest shot for me at something that small at that range. I have yet to reload a Speer bullet. Not sure how well they work.

Tank

3. Waltech Jim

Waltech Jim Writers Guild

I have shot several thousand of the 110 V-max at pds. This was my bullet of choice for my 300 WM dedicated pd gun. My barrel is a 1-12 and I was loading them to 3600, as above that I was getting an occasional blow up. Out of a 308 you likely won't have a problem. Very accurate.

I have shot some TNTs, however, they have a 3100 fps "speed limit". I was able to get them above 3100 but not to where I could get the V-max, so I quite trying. Also accurate.

The best I have found is the Nosler 125 BT. I am able to get them above 3600 and the accuracy is better than either the V-max or TNT. They will open up on pds out to about 600 yds. After that you will get pencils on the small ones.

Regardless of what you choose, I think you will find a load that will shoot very well, and the effects will be what you are after.

Jim

4. liltank

There is a guy that built a 300WSM with a 1:14 twist running the 125 Nosler to 4100fps. You should see the Groundhogs explode when hit. His article is on 6mmbr.com.

5. Waltech Jim

Waltech Jim Writers Guild

Yup, I think most of us know about it. Some time ago there was a long and sometimes "painful" discussion on the matter.

I would really like to comment, but will not.

Jim

6. liltank

Can you enlighten me Jim with a short sinopsis? Ludicris speed, to graphic, inquiring minds want to know? You can PM me if you want to.

Tank

7. JUDD

JUDD Well-Known Member

SEARCH 300 VARMINTER.....More info then u will need....take it all with a grain of salt! lol