.308 V-MAX vs. TNT?

bowhunthard88

Has anyone used the .308" 110gr Hornady V-MAX and/or the 125gr Speer TNT? I'm looking for a light bullet to push out of my .308 Win for varmints. Besides the velocity, I'm looking for accuracy also. Is one inherently more accurate than another? I've worked with both V-MAXes and TNTs before, and am impressed by both, just not sure what to go with for the 308.

Thanks.

I have shot the V-Max 110's. It was over 47.5grns RL-15 w/ CCI 200 primer. I was cutting a .233" group at 100yrds. It was out of a 1:10 factory Savage Mod. 12 Low Pro. I gutted a Fox squirrel at 202yrds. Longest shot for me at something that small at that range. I have yet to reload a Speer bullet. Not sure how well they work.

Tank

Has anyone used the .308" 110gr Hornady V-MAX and/or the 125gr Speer TNT? I'm looking for a light bullet to push out of my .308 Win for varmints. Besides the velocity, I'm looking for accuracy also. Is one inherently more accurate than another? I've worked with both V-MAXes and TNTs before, and am impressed by both, just not sure what to go with for the 308.

Thanks.

I have shot several thousand of the 110 V-max at pds. This was my bullet of choice for my 300 WM dedicated pd gun. My barrel is a 1-12 and I was loading them to 3600, as above that I was getting an occasional blow up. Out of a 308 you likely won't have a problem. Very accurate.

I have shot some TNTs, however, they have a 3100 fps "speed limit". I was able to get them above 3100 but not to where I could get the V-max, so I quite trying. Also accurate.

The best I have found is the Nosler 125 BT. I am able to get them above 3600 and the accuracy is better than either the V-max or TNT. They will open up on pds out to about 600 yds. After that you will get pencils on the small ones.

Regardless of what you choose, I think you will find a load that will shoot very well, and the effects will be what you are after.

Jim

There is a guy that built a 300WSM with a 1:14 twist running the 125 Nosler to 4100fps. You should see the Groundhogs explode when hit. His article is on 6mmbr.com.

There is a guy that built a 300WSM with a 1:14 twist running the 125 Nosler to 4100fps. You should see the Groundhogs explode when hit. His article is on 6mmbr.com.

Yup, I think most of us know about it. Some time ago there was a long and sometimes "painful" discussion on the matter.

I would really like to comment, but will not.

Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.