.308 Reloading question

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Clayne B, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Clayne B

Clayne B Well-Known Member

Ok, I have a load that shoots VERY good out of my Rem 700 sps varmint. And it looks like I am going to have to change it.

I have been single feeding my rifle, But I have a coyote hunting competition in a week and a half and will be shooting the .308

Current Load
    168gr A-max
    over all length 2.947 (problem is it wont fit in the internal mag)
    43.5 gr varget.

So my question is do you think i will over pressure seating the bullets i have loaded back .147 more? to reach an over all length of 2.800.

I am new to this whole reloading stuff so any input would appreciated

2. emn83

emn83 Well-Known Member

from my limited experience, no, i don't think you will. I've shot very similar set ups to that, with 178 A-max, and didn't have any problems. That was with my rifle though, so, be careful with yours.

FWIW, If I remember correctly, moving a bullet toward the rifling is more likely to cause pressure problems due to reduced jump, if I remember correctly.

3. Michael Eichele

Michael Eichele Well-Known Member

Install a Wyatt box magazine. You can feed about 2.985-2.990" long rounds reliably.

Sometimes seating them deeper can change the accuracy of a load.

4. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

You should not have high pressure if you seat your bullet at 2.8". I have used that load in 3 different rifles with no problems at all. I also suspect you will be able to hold your accuracy with that bullet.

5. Clayne B

Clayne B Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input, Shot 5 rounds to check for pressure signs.. It all looks good, WAY to much wind and getting dark to do any accuracy testing.