308 Reloading Problems

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by TacticalRem, Oct 30, 2011.

1. TacticalRem

TacticalRem Member

Help out there! I am reloading 308 for my Remingron 700 and I am using Lapua Brass. I am full length re-sizing, trimming, neck sizing, and I am seating @.010 off the lands, everything I can think of but every once in a while I get a round that fits too tight in the chamber. What can be going on? Is it the dies?
    Thanks for your help!

2. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

Need to bump the shoulder back a few thousandths.

Tank

3. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Check the thickness of the case necks. It sounds like you have some that are too thick. If that's the case when you seat the bullet the overall diameter of the neck is going to exceed that of your chamber neck.

If that's the case you need to either mill those case necks down or throw them away because it can create dangerous pressure problems.

4. Sully2

Sully2 Well-Known Member

Mill them...dont throw them. Lapua brass is too $$$ just to pitch

5. backwoods83

backwoods83 Well-Known Member

If he is full length sizing them correctly it should be bumping the shoulder back, and if the necks are bigger than the chamber it would be like putting factory ammo in a tight neck chamber and he would know it or possibly wouldn't still be around to know it. If one is tight try rotating it 180* and see if it chambers easier, if so its a runout issue, could have a slightly crooked chamber or your just not camming over or bottoming out each case when you full length depending on the press you're using.

6. retiredcpo

retiredcpo Well-Known Member

I had the same issue in my 300 WSM tried everything from ideas here and from my gunsmith
    Contacted RCBS they said I set the dies up incorrectly and sugested I set them up again follwing the instructions exactly and bump the shoulder a few more thou.
    I did and have not had a problem since this was five years ago
    good luck
    retiredcpo