.308 or .7mm-08

Dean

I'm thinking abnout getting a new deer hunting rifle. I was wondering what is more accurate as far as caliber, .7mm-08 or .308. And what caliber has higher recoil. Thanks.

Dean

Well their both based on the same case so the powder charge is gonna be about the exact same.
Accuracy , well that all boild down to the gun and loads more than the caliber both are ready to shoot better than you can handle the gun if the weapon is built right and the loads have been worked up properly. As far as accurate factory ammo then that I believe is gonna go to the 308 due to the numerous factory "match" ammo out their.
Recoil , well that all boils down to the math , shooting the same bullet weight with the same powder capacity and powders of the same or close to the same burn rate is gonna give you recoil that is about identical , assuming that the guns are the exact same shape and weight. Now once you get into the heavier bullets that the 308 can handle then the recoil is going to increase.
BUT , you can push a 150gr bullet out of a 308 alot faster than a 7-08 because on the weight to gas space ratio , the larger bore burns the powder faster and more effeciently.
NOW , for the other side , the 7mm bullets are going to have a higher BC than the 30 cals until you get into the heavier bullets and then the 308 will start to strugle with pushing them well.

Personaly I like the 308 , you can get great factory ammo from BlackHills (175gr MatchKings) and if you rig is ready and up to it you can be making 1000yd shots , where you'll be hard pressed to find any factory ammo for the 7-08 that'll be willing to reach out much past 600yds.
the differance in recoil is not going to be enough to matter.
Are you looking to have a gun built or buy a new one , what are you planing to use this rig for?

New Deer huning rifle...

are you talking LR stuff or just the old "take my rifle for a walk" type deer hunting.

Where do you hunt? Avg. size of the deer?

7mm08 is a nice round.. but as you kow I have my favorites?

I'am looking for a new rifle. and it is going to be used for anything from coyotes to deer.

well.... deer to yotes.... I have to agree ... 243

243 tends to be too much for yotes if you wanna tan the hide...

I guess I am not following you...

this is a LR Hunting board are you talking long range or just talking general stuff.

i am only fourteen years old so my long range is probably much different than yours. my long range is anything past 300 yds. i'll be hunting in Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. I'm not sure about the avg. size of deer in all three of these states.

Dean

while I am encouraged to see young blood interested in the sport... you are younger than 18 so better check with Dad first...

ric-while he may be younger than most, he is still here asking questions about a great sport. thus we should consider dean as an equal, if he hadnt mention his age, would this be brought up?

dean- if your looking for that all purpose rifle for deer to yotes' .243 is gunna be your best bet, 7-08 and 308 are gunna be over kill on a yote'...you are going to have a good choice in factory ammo if you chose to do so as well. good luck to ya

To be honest with you....

I suspected him to be of younger age than most as he was wishy washy with his direction of questions ... first is was a deer rifle then it was anything form deer to coyotes...

Given the circumstances.. you can be more than willing to help him and I commend you.. persons under the age of 18 in my book.. this day and age... it gets a little risky... nothing personal... but some sort of hold harmless agreement would be nice...

sad to say with firearms and society and the anti's ... just my personal concerns...

I wish him luck and he found a great place to learn... Just would like to see Dad involved when he is in a public forum...

Jordan.. you gonna make it to the Harrisburg Show? Look me up we can meet and chat about LR stuff.....

yes given the quesion was somewhat vague, ill agree on that.

as for being under the age of 18, i guess i can see where your coming from, although no one seems to be shy to answer any questions i may have. but i guess i am lucky to have had the chance to start high power silhouettes at 13, thus the interest began to peak, at those distances beyond the rams, and past "homer"

as for making it down to the show, i am hoping so. possibly work will allow me to meander down south for some "educational" work.. but we'll see.. with classes and work i see little chance though.. you have a booth down there?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.