.308 help

mconwa951

Started reloading for the first time a few weeks ago.

I have a savage 308 with a 1:10 twist barrel.
I am shooting 210 gr bergers trying to develop a load for moose hunting.
I played with the pwder charges that berger recomended started at 37.5 gr and worked up to the max of 43.7 using a .030 jump. the max charged produced the best groups but still like 2" group at 100yds.
I then played with the jump and reduced it to .010 and that produced lil better but not much better groups this was the max that would work in my magazine.
So I decided to play with charge some more and kept working up. I worked up to 45gr of powder which is 1.3 gr over max i got a 1" group using this load with still no signs of pressure being to high just wondering if i should stop here or if it is ok to go a little higher.
any other thoughts or ideas on how to shrink this group a little more?
Thanks guys.

It would help to know what powder your using. Depending on that, the 210 Berger may not be the best bullet, since it needs 1800fps to reliably expand. You may have a longer effective range with something like a 200gr AccuBond or 190 Berger. Or try RL17. My old competition f-class load was 48gr of RL17 and a 208 A-max. The load ran 2656fps from my 28in 1-11tw hart.

If you don't see any pressure signs (and are sure you know what they look like when you do encounter any) there is no real risk going higher. Load data in books is all lawyer approved and must be safe in ANY rifle in that caliber.

Oh yeah man you can go higher! I know guys who use up to 50grs of W760. Also, try jamming the bergers into the lands. They usualy will shoot decently like that. Sometimes they like a long jump, but for development purposes jamming them isn't a bad idea. Going longe won't allow you full use of your magazine but toucan have one chambered and one diagonal in your magazine with the tip resting on the feed ramp. Don't jam it too deep or you may get a bullet stuck and dump powder in your action. I did that Saturday for the first time and it's VERY annoying.

For my hunting rifle I have a small stock pack with elastic loops for cartridges, I can eject the first and throw one in from there in about 1 second. The magazine isn't Italy nessacery. If you really want to use it, I'd suggest switching to a different bullet.

thanks man Ill try increasing the powder a lil at a time until i see signs or find it shoots the best its gonna then play with the jump more.

Thanks again for the advice.

No problem. Shoot me a pm with your results after next batch of testing. I've probably shot more 208/210s from a .308win than most, if not the most so I can help answer any questions you may have about this combo.

If you don't see any pressure signs (and are sure you know what they look like when you do encounter any) there is no real risk going higher. Load data in books is all lawyer approved and must be safe in ANY rifle in that caliber.[/QUOTE said:
Oliveralan,
This gets bounced around quite a bit, and I'll tell you flat out, it's not the case. Sooner or later, this little bit of "conventional wisdom" will bite you. A reloading manual is a report only, saying that they tried this particular combination in their rifle, and these were the results they observed. There is absolutely NO "guarantee" that it will be safe in any rifle, including yours.

We're dealing with some pretty intense pressures in any form of reloading, and that pressure can turn very ugly, very quickly. Treat it with the respect it deserves. Not trying to start any flames here, but seriously, it needs to be handled with caution.

Sincerely,

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

For a hunting round DO NOT JAM BULLETS INTO THE LANDS. You will be sorry one day when you have a bullet stuck in the bore and powder down in your action out in the middle of nowhere with no cleaning rod to punch the bullet out with. Been there and done that and have the T-shirt.
How big is the vital zone in a Moose????? If you are getting 1" groups at 100 yards that is more than minute of Moose.

For a hunting round DO NOT JAM BULLETS INTO THE LANDS. You will be sorry one day when you have a bullet stuck in the bore and powder down in your action out in the middle of nowhere with no cleaning rod to punch the bullet out with. Been there and done that and have the T-shirt.
How big is the vital zone in a Moose????? If you are getting 1" groups at 100 yards that is more than minute of Moose.

Good, solid advice here.

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

totally agree with the min of moose just the perfectionist in me trying to get that little extra out of the load.

I wasn't recommending you jam hunting rounds, just for preliminary load development. Do a bullet seating depth ladder test. If needed just load them touching the lands, even a slight jam
isn't dangerous if you have some neck tension.

For what it's worth I couldn't get Bergers to group with my Savage 308. I was using 168 grain targets though. I tried .10", .15", .25", and .30" off the lands with many charges. I just went back to 168 SMKs.

J

Have been working with a 180gr btsp in my 308 tried RL-17 was
surprised at what came of it......
Working a ladder and semi prep brass, Fed brass primer pockets
trued, flashholes done and neck sized .335 bushing.
210M primer, 180gr sierra and speer bullets with a choice less than max
powder charge, 2659, 2699, 2721, 2778, 2678, shot a sub group 47.5 charge.
Luck on your hunt .......

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.