.308 for Deer stalking and the range ???

robbobsam

I am now in the market for a .308 rifle.

I want to use the rifle for deer hunting and on the range up to 600-1000yds. I like the look of the Accuracy International rifles but am concerned the weight of the rifle could pose a problem in the field when hunting. I was hoping to use the biathalon sling to carry the rifle to help with the weight.

http://www.sportingservices.co.uk/sling2.jpg

Sporting Services - Accuracy International Rifles

Does anyone in here have any experience with this rifle for this use ???

It may be the case that I need to get a different rifle for each discipline, but I would rather get one if possible and appropriate.

What do you think ???

I know that on one of the military sites I frequent, they hold the AI's in high regard. It is very reliable, rugged, and extremely accurate. Your right about the weight, but they are no heavier than a custom built rifle. They are practically custom from the get go. I would challenge you to use a .308 to 1000 yrds for anything bigger than a coyote. Yes they kill people well at that yardage, but not very practical from a hunting stand point.

600 to 800 yards with a 175grn bullet would be a good combo for that type of hunting and you will need to keep a minimum of a 20" bore to keep your velocity and energy up for killing deer size game. As with any hunting, shot placement is vital. With shortening up your distance, if you plan to stock and know you are going to be in thick brush or the possibility is there, then a 20" barrel 308 would be a great option.

If you want to venture into the 1000yrd range, then a 300 Win Mag would be the better option with a 190+ grain bullet. You will have enough retained energy and velocity to be lethal on deer size game to that distance and beyond with proper load recipes. I know that AI does offer that caliber, so it might be something to consider if that is a real probability of distance for hunting. A 24" plus barrel is key. One guy I know said that a 26" barrel is optimal for the 300WM.

Tank

Thanks for that tank, I am tempted to go for an off the shelf AI as they are pretty local to me and seem to have a good reputation. I am a fit guy so the weight isn't a major worry for me ATM.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.