.308 effective hunting range

I wouldn't worry too much about using a match bullet. I've killed several whitetail deer and an Aoudad with the 162 Amax out of a 7rm without any issues. I've just switched over to the 180 Berger Hybrid and I will be hunting with it as well. Some people will tell you that it's the wrong thing to do and others will tell you that it's ok. Until I shoot something that eats the bullet and then runs off, I'll continue to use whatever shoots best, be it a match bullet or a hunting bullet. This is simply imho, but maybe it will help.

You got the best bullets. I use both in 150 gr in Hornady FMJ for yotes or hogs... the Sierra 150 gr SPBT for hogs and deer, bear or anything else, with 47 grs of varget. I have been shooting a 308 since 1965..... Now for hogs it will work good but never shoot for the shoulder on them. Head shot, low behind front leg, or neck shot... It doesn't matter what caliber you have on them, if you don't hit them right they'll keep going.... Bullet placement is everything.

You got the best bullets. I use both in 150 gr in Hornady FMJ for yotes or hogs... the Sierra 150 gr SPBT for hogs and deer, bear or anything else, with 47 grs of varget. I have been shooting a 308 since 1965..... Now for hogs it will work good but never shoot for the shoulder on them. Head shot, low behind front leg, or neck shot... It doesn't matter what caliber you have on them, if you don't hit them right they'll keep going.... Bullet placement is everything.

I agree, I think shot placement is the goal to achieve. Thanks for your reply

Elarte...

If you are looking for a target bullet that will take down game, then you should examine the Berger VLD Hunting bullets. Basically they are the same as the target bullets but have a little thicker jacket (at least that's my understanding). It is supposed to be very effective. I can tell you that I jut switched over to them myself and am putting 5 of 6 rounds into 4.3 inches at 600 yards. I am by no means an expert marksman. Here's an image of the load I am working up. You can see that I do have a flyer, but it is still keeping MOA at 600 yards. I would highly recommend you check out the Berger VLD Hunting bullets if you want to use a target round for deer or elk. Good luck!

Oh... These shots were done with .308 168 grain VLD Hunting bullets out of a Tikka T3 Tactical with a 20" barrel.
image.jpg

If Hornady and Sierra are the only brands available in your country the. I would look closely at the Hr day GMX for hogs. As was said earlier the copper solid bullets are just about perfect for hogs. They're like little armored tanks up front.

My understanding of target bullets is a little different than some posters. I was always told their thinner jackets and lack of penetration can lead to splash wounds that don't penetrate enough. Certainly something you don't want on a hog. Their great BC and accuracy helps at extended ranges where the slower velocity can allow them to hold together and penetrate with expansion that can be quite lethal on deer sized game.

Maybe develop a close range and hog load using a GMX and one of your other loads for extended ranges. Carry a GMX on top ready to chamber then the others in the magazine. Inside 300 yards both should shoot close enough for a dead piggy or jump shot.

If Hornady and Sierra are the only brands available in your country the. I would look closely at the Hr day GMX for hogs. As was said earlier the copper solid bullets are just about perfect for hogs. They're like little armored tanks up front.

My understanding of target bullets is a little different than some posters. I was always told their thinner jackets and lack of penetration can lead to splash wounds that don't penetrate enough. Certainly something you don't want on a hog. Their great BC and accuracy helps at extended ranges where the slower velocity can allow them to hold together and penetrate with expansion that can be quite lethal on deer sized game.

Maybe develop a close range and hog load using a GMX and one of your other loads for extended ranges. Carry a GMX on top ready to chamber then the others in the magazine. Inside 300 yards both should shoot close enough for a dead piggy or jump shot.

My team (4 of us) has shot hogs with, 9 mm, 223, 243, 270, 3006, and 308..... Our experience tells us , just make sure your rifle is zeroed in; any rifle bullet will kill them.... That is, if you hit them in the right spot (not the body) .... regardless they can carry a lot of lead and normally will go 50 to 100 yds afterward.

Attachments

• piganatomy.jpg
    piganatomy.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 64
  • hog in yard.JPG
    hog in yard.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 84
I use 168gr amax to deer hunt with my 308 as well. I have shot 13 deer from 175 yards to 500 yards with them. Neck, shoulder, spine, head it all ended the same. Massive internal trauma and bleeding.

when i ran a 308 i shot the 168 amax and they kill. Never had to shoot a deer more than once and farthest was a touch over 600.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.